Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

There has been much talk on this site about hoping the Cubs get the overall worst record, thus the first overall pick. I am taking the opposite approach...they are currently 33-52...I want them to lose 85 games or less...unrealisitic?...probably...a 44-33 second half does seem doubtful...but I think it is more important to start to see some winning than just losing 100 plus and getting a high pick...some quick reasons:

1. Svuem- if they finish up strong, or respectable, it's good for the manager and his cred going forward...if they lose 100 games, as unfair as it would be, Svuem will lose some players and the fans...plus, just for the dude's sanity

2. The Core- like it or not, I would imagine at least half the roster will be back for 2013...we are not just going to have 21 new guys with TWood, Samardzija, Castro and Rizzo...more than likely guys like Barney, Russell, Clevenger, Lahair, DeJesus, Campana, Maholm, and yes maybe even Soriano and Marmol could all be back

3. A winning second half means guys like Rizzo and Wood continue their successes..would you rather have a team of 20 somethings on an upswing, or expect them to start learning how to win next year, or the year after?

I realize that if Dempster AND Garza both go then 77 wins is a pipe dream.....but how nice would it be for the fans, players and management to feel that the bottom was in the first half of 2012...and the arrow is pointing up...

feel free to express why you feel we have to tank it to get the worst record....

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:35 AM

To me, they're kind in a can't lose situation right now. It's always good to win a ballgame, and when they lose, eh, I just think about the #1 overall pick next year.
BTW, It seems like the bottom feeders have picked it up lately. Which if anyone is REALLY bored out there, I wonder what the best worst record of all time is? That is, of all the teams to get the worst record of the year, who had the best of those records?
Oh yeah, and as far as losing the good players, I can't help but think of Seattle 10 - 15 years ago. They lost Griffey, they got better, they lost Randy Johnson, they got better. They lost ARod for nothing and they won 116 games. I have no evidence to cite or major studies, but it seems like it's happened before. It defies logic. A team somehow plays better after losing that exceptional player. I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a better record after the "July gutting".

#3 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

Baseball is one game that is not won "on paper"....it defies logic, look at the White Sox...if you look at that team objectively...you see Sale, a bunch of rookies, and about four DH's...

so many variables in baseball...schedule, what pitchers you face/miss

you are right...Dempster and Garza could go and the Cubs coould maintain....

#4 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

I would like to see the kids progress through the rest of the year. If we lose through july but show some life in August and September (Just above .500 by a couple of games). That would make me happy. I'd like to see Jackson, Vitters , and a couple pitchers get a taste of "the show" and hopefully make that push for a permanent stay. If that gives us a top 5 or so pick, so be it. I think we did well with draft this year. My biggest thing Good August!

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#5 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'm right with you. I wanna win, not demolish everyone's confidence. Just be really competive. Screw the #1 pick. Yes, it would bring good talent in, but nobody wants to lose. I am honestly surprised that some people want them to.

#6 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

I would always rather see them win than lose. Most importantly, I want to see progress.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#7 Brady

Brady

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

I just don't want to be in last place. It is always nice to say, well at least we arent the (Astros last year and could be again COL, and SD could be in that mix).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).