Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

Most Hated Rival

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Most Hated Rival? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the Cubs' most hated rival?

1. Cardinals (21 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. White Sox (3 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Brewers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Reds (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Red Sox (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Other (say who) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

As requested in the comments, we're curious.

#2 TrueblueCubbie

TrueblueCubbie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:@cubsfantroy

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

It was hard to pick between the Cardinals and the Sox, but since they play the Cards more, I went with them.

Posted Image

#3 mjhurdle

mjhurdle

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBelleville, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

This one is tough. But i live in STL, so I get to hear it from Cards fan all the time. Plus, the games against them seem to mean more seeing they are division foes. They would be the #1 rival.
But it is definitely close.

#4 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

After what happened last night......Cardinals. Although could imagine what would happen if the marlins won the WS. We'd have to deal with Ozzie for the ASG! UG!

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

No brainer to me. cardinals. How any Cubs fan could listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver last night is beyond me. I can't even watch NFL games that buck does.

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I also had a struggle with my decision. I even had a knock-down-drag-out fight with myself on this one.

Ultimately, I chose the Cardinals for the reason that I don't really view the Whine Sux as a rival. Whereas, the Cards being in the same division and all, I decided they HAD to be my choice. Now, had the poll question merely asked who I HATED the most, without mentioning the rival aspect, it would be the Whine Sux, without question.

I DO hates me some White Sox, fer shore!

#7 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

I find the teams I hate are more based on the fans than the teams, records, proximity, history etc. I live two hours from Minneapolis and have to listen to Vikings fans ALL the time. Thus I cheer upon hearing that AP was arrested, Love Boat saga, Gary Anderson etc. And since the Cubs only play the Twins once every three years, and much less are the games meaningful, I tend to peacefully co exist with Twins fans.

Anyhoo, I gotta go with the Cardinals.

#8 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

I hate the Sox more but thats probably just because I encounter their fans more than the Cards.

I would add the Mets and/or Yankees to that list before Boston, even with the compensation shenanigans. The rivalry has never been big for me since the days when the Cubs were in the East is well before my time, but it definitely is for the old timers i.e. I remember Santo always hated going to Shea after the 69 season. Yankees are everyones most hated team so I think they deserve a mention. New York is just a pretty natural rival for Chicago in general too I think.

Boston isnt really a rivalry to me. We just don't play eachother enough for anything to develop. Yeah there was the compensation thing, but that doesn't make a rivalry to me especially since Theo has already traded with them since that whole issue.

Edit: Also, I kinda hate Miami. Between them beating us in 03, Ozzie being their manager, the ridiculous over-the-top stadium, and the fact that they share the same city as the Heat, just sends a lot of hate their way. I wouldn't call them a rival and wouldnt include them on this list, but definitely a team I don't like.

#9 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

How did the Mets not get a mention? They're number 2 for me b/c of '69.....no, I dont think its weird to dislike a team for something that happened before I was born

#10 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

How did the Mets not get a mention? They're number 2 for me b/c of '69.....no, I dont think its weird to dislike a team for something that happened before I was born

Right there with you TC. I've been holding a grudge for 43 years, I'm not letting go now!
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).