Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

The Bulls - What The Heck Is Paxson Doing?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Maybe my "title" question should read "What The Heck is Paxson NOT Doing?!"

Over the last few years, the sports writers / broadcasters / Bulls personnel have been dangling the proverbial carrot out there with the potential huge acquisitions the Bulls will make with trades and the free agent market. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any of that taking place. The big-name FAs are getting gobbled up faster than my wife's corn cassarole during Thanksgiving dinner, and the Bulls have nothing to show for it.

Other teams are not just sitting pat, unfortunately. The Evil Empire on the South East (Miami) have actually added to their team by acquiring Ray Allen from the Celtics. Not only are the Bulls not doing anything, they are also losing further ground to other teams.

The Bulls DID bring back Kirk Heinrich, but I see that as a negative move. The Bulls are also looking like they will be LOSING Omer Asik. Combine that with being without Rose and Deng for large portions of next season, the high hopes that were starting to fly over United Center are losing helium very quickly.

Maybe because of the injuries to Rose and Deng, the Bulls mgmt have already decided that they cannot contend this year, so they are saving money?

I'm getting frustrated with all of this. At one time, I THOUGHT that i'd be able to have the Bull's season to look forward to, but that appears to no longer be the case.

#2 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

They have no cap room to make a big splash in free agency. Just hope Rose and Deng heal quickly and Boozer gets amnestied at end of 2013 to clear cap space the following season. In meantime, go Bears!

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, the Bulls are hamstrung with huge contracts with Rose, Noah, and Boozer. And now, if they do decide to match Asik's offer, they're on the hook for another $20 mil in the last year of that contract, which would put them well into the luxury tax. I think they're considering dumping Boozer with that amnesty clause thing, and I think that's why we haven't heard of a decision on Asik yet, but I'm just speculating.

I do have to say I don't agree with your assessment that Hinrich is a downgrade. He offers some pretty good D and open J's, and he can play both guard spots if needed. I think that was a pretty great deal for the price they got him for, but only time will tell.

Sounds like we'll be losing Brewer, Watson, and Korver, so that could be a hit, but that will also free up over $12 mil on the books, so who knows, that might be the money they use to hang on to Asik or go after some free agents.

I wouldn't be too down on the Bullies right now. I think Thibs has as much to do with the Bulls winning as the players do. I think they'll find the right mix and stay competitive enough to make the playoffs, and hopefully D.Rose can come back and carry us in the playoffs.

Miami does look ridiculous now with Allen, but hey, we just gotta hope they don't play well together. There's only so many shots to be taken and they still need a center.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, the Bulls are hamstrung with huge contracts with Rose, Noah, and Boozer. And now, if they do decide to match Asik's offer, they're on the hook for another $20 mil in the last year of that contract, which would put them well into the luxury tax. I think they're considering dumping Boozer with that amnesty clause thing, and I think that's why we haven't heard of a decision on Asik yet, but I'm just speculating.

I do have to say I don't agree with your assessment that Hinrich is a downgrade. He offers some pretty good D and open J's, and he can play both guard spots if needed. I think that was a pretty great deal for the price they got him for, but only time will tell.

Sounds like we'll be losing Brewer, Watson, and Korver, so that could be a hit, but that will also free up over $12 mil on the books, so who knows, that might be the money they use to hang on to Asik or go after some free agents.

I wouldn't be too down on the Bullies right now. I think Thibs has as much to do with the Bulls winning as the players do. I think they'll find the right mix and stay competitive enough to make the playoffs, and hopefully D.Rose can come back and carry us in the playoffs.

Miami does look ridiculous now with Allen, but hey, we just gotta hope they don't play well together. There's only so many shots to be taken and they still need a center.

For a good portion of this past season, the Heat weren't all that *hot* when they were trying to learn how to play together, but apparently they put that past them.

I haven't watched the salary cap closely, but I THOUGHT going into this past season, everyone was like "wait 'til the FA season and we are going to make some noise!" It was pointed out repeatedly that the FA market was going to be loaded, etc. I never heard mention that the Bulls didn't have any room for negotiation.

Crap! Color ME disappointed! I guess I should'a been paying closer attention.

#5 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Well, we always have the Bears and Blackhawks!
- diehard fanclub member #002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).