#1 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

Fellow BN'ers, I have reluctantly agreed to take over as commish of my fantasy football league and my first task as new commish is to find a new site. We have been using CBS for the past several years and the site works just fine but they charge $150 per league. Our league members all agree that $150 would be better served going back into the annual payouts for winners.

That said, I need advice on best FREE sites out there. Here are the requirements:
- Live scoring
- mobile access
- flexibility to modify standard rules, scoring and waiver priorities

Any and all ideas are appreciated....

#2 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yahoo has the first two but is not great at the third.

Fleaflicker has the first one, has mobile access but not an app (you can access it thru the browser on your smart phone) and is excellent at the third.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

I really don't like ESPN for fantasy sports at all.

#4 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Fleaflicker does have a mobile app but it gets a little squirrelly every now and then.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#5 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the ideas Spencer, I've used Yahoo in past too and it was okay from what I remember.
I'll have to look into fleaflicker I'm not familiar with that one.
So I shouldn't bother with ESPN?

Keep the ideas coming, thanks

#6 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

We got a league full of bners. If you're in send me a message with your email. We use fleaflicker

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:19 AM

As the commish of the BNFL (BleacherNation Fleaflicker League) I absolutely recommend fleaflicker. It is 100% free and you can customize the scoring (in many interesting ways), they have multiple draft formats, and their customer support is superb. Yes there is no good mobile app, but the website runs smoothly on both iPhone and Andriod. It has been the best site I've used and you should really consider them. Be sure to tell them how you heard about them. Good luck!

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

NO ESPN - they are the worst.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#9 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:27 AM

Excellent info, thanks everyone. Seems like Fleaflicker is the consensus winner. I'm going to have to check that site out.

#10 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Excellent info, thanks everyone. Seems like Fleaflicker is the consensus winner. I'm going to have to check that site out.

Be sure to say mention bleacher nation and me when you sign up, I'd love if they advertised with BN I'm sure they would get a huge response . Enjoy the site.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#11 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

Be sure to say mention bleacher nation and me when you sign up, I'd love if they advertised with BN I'm sure they would get a huge response . Enjoy the site.

And then ask them to ask all their followers to follow MG on twitter.

#12 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

And then ask them to ask all their followers to follow MG on twitter.

I do still need to get to 666 followers.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#13 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

breakin curses.

#14 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I've been commissioner-ing for MANY (many, many) years. My first league was in '84, back when very few people even knew what fantasy football was, and have ran at least one league every year since. I ran the league MANUALLY for several years, then developed my own software and ran leagues on that until the internet came into play. I've ran leagues on CBS, ESPN and Yahoo. I believe it was around '97 when I started running leagues on Yahoo, though their records only go back to 2000, so I could be wrong on the first year, but I've ran Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, NASCAR, NCAA Brackets and "Pick'em" leagues over the years. I'm not bragging, but wanted to establish that I have some experience with this.

Though it's been years since I tried them, both CBS and ESPN proved to be slow performing and kind'a clunky and cumbersome to use. Yahoo has served me very well. My league participants all like Yahoo and it's features. Yahoo retains league records from year to year, has the on-line, real-time scoring which is really helpful. The customization options have been more than adequate for my football leagues. My recommendation is Yahoo.

I have not used Fleaflicker before and am kind'a anxious to see how it compares. From what I've seen so far, I'm not a big fan, but that's partly (and maybe mostly) because of my lack of familiarity with it. Another downside, Fleflicker is blocked at work, whereas Yahoo is not. THAT is HUGE as a lot of last minute transactions are necessary if you are to keep up with your team and being limited to after work hours is going to make things difficult.

I am looking forward to the BNFL league and appreciate the opportunity!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).