#1 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

I'm going crazy right now over the lack of Cub's news on the net, so hoping I can get something of interest going here to keep me alive until the games start back up!

Anyone have any idea if the Cubbies are done signing draft picks, or if there are still some later round picks that might get signed, and if so, which ones are the probable signees? Looking at the draft list, it seems like they really made an effort to sign all the pitchers they could, even the late rounders, so I'm curious if they'll continue to try to sign the few that are still out there.

Another question would be - out of the remaining unsigned draftees, which ones are the most intriguing with the most potential?
- diehard fanclub member #002

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

They can continue to sign draftees from Round 11 and later for up to $100,000 without risking any penalties. A few more could sign, but I suspect what we have now is what we're going to get.

Unless...

Jim Callis on Twitter today made a comment that sounded like teams who drafted college seniors retain their rights (and can presumably sign them) after the deadline, but under the same CBA limitations as before the deadline. If I did understand that right (and I have not had a chance to look into it), any college seniors the Cubs have unsigned they could potentially sign later this year.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

They can continue to sign draftees from Round 11 and later for up to $100,000 without risking any penalties. A few more could sign, but I suspect what we have now is what we're going to get.

Unless...

Jim Callis on Twitter today made a comment that sounded like teams who drafted college seniors retain their rights (and can presumably sign them) after the deadline, but under the same CBA limitations as before the deadline. If I did understand that right (and I have not had a chance to look into it), any college seniors the Cubs have unsigned they could potentially sign later this year.

What would be the delay if they are still operating under the same $100k limit?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

Austin Pentecost, picked in round 29, is a college senior and agreed to terms, but wasn't signed because he failed his physical. Depending on what the problem was, the Cubs may follow him and try to sign him.

If I were Theo, I'd contact any remaining desirable draftees tomorrow and give them one last chance to sign. One last chance to take the money and give pro ball a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).