#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Brian Kelly has been at the helm of the Notre Dame football program for two full seasons and is entering his third. He inheritied some talent and has been the recipient of several pretty good recruiting classes. Thus far in the recruiting process, next year's class is looking VERY impressive! Depending on which source, the 2013 class is ranked as high as 3rd.

The first two years have been pretty disappointing, result-wise. Not great win-loss records and not in contention for anything. Also, there have been an alarming number of players and recruits deciding that ND was not the place for them.

I'm thinking Kelly needs to get Notre Dame back into the forefront of College Football by the end of the 2013 season, or he should be filing some change of address cards at the post office. That's just MY opinion, of course, and apparently isn't shared by the ND athletic office as he received a contract extension this past January, which takes him through the end of the 2016 season. Not that ND hasn't ended coaches stays before their contracts have expired! Just look at Charlie Weiss who's gotten MUCH fatter (errr... poor choice of words, but it fits [snicker]) by getting a hefty severence package upon his departure.

Kelly was recently ranked as one of the top 10 college football coaches in the country, but that was due to his successes prior to his arrival in South Bend. Personally, though I'd like to see him succeed here at ND, I am not feeling optimistic. He has made a lot of questionable decisions in these last two years as far as play selections, personnel choices, depth chart arrangements, etc.

As the title says, it's time ... NOW.... Put Up or Shut Up, Coach Kelly!!!!

#2 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Why do Notre Dame fans insist on a three year window before they want coaches to leave? I don't understand that. How are they supposed to build any sort of consistency in three years? That's only two years of their own recruiting class. At least let a coach have five years at a program before calling for his head. I grew up in Mishawaka and was a big ND fan growing up, then I started realizing how arrogant most ND fans are and how they treated Davie, Willingham, Weiss, etc. If you don't have 6 consecutive 11 win seasons you're shown the door. Ridiculous

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Why do Notre Dame fans insist on a three year window before they want coaches to leave? I don't understand that. How are they supposed to build any sort of consistency in three years? That's only two years of their own recruiting class. At least let a coach have five years at a program before calling for his head. I grew up in Mishawaka and was a big ND fan growing up, then I started realizing how arrogant most ND fans are and how they treated Davie, Willingham, Weiss, etc. If you don't have 6 consecutive 11 win seasons you're shown the door. Ridiculous

I'm as big an ND fan as there is and I'm with you Spencer. That anyone is even talking about dumping Kelly after this year is beyond impatient and ridiculous. This will be a big year, but I think success this year has more to do with the QB situation than it does with the won loss record.

#4 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Think Luke Rubenzer for 2014 QB.
Link

#5 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I, too, am a huge ND fan and think it is ridiculous how coaches are quickly ushered out the door. This isn't just the case at ND but other universities as well and not just football. I give Kelly a couple more years. These past two years, especially this past year, were extremely frustrating, but let's give the man a chance. He's been a winner everywhere he's been.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I'm not a Notre Dame fan but I have a significant number of friends who went to Grand Valley State (where he won multiple Div II National Championships) and CMU when he was coaching there... he knows what he's doing he just has to get players who fit HIS system in.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

also Notre Dame fans need to realize they haven't been nationally relevant for a prolonged period of time in almost 20 years...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).