Patrick

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:basenarcissist
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

I asked this earlier on the front page, didn't get a response, so maybe it's not interesting....

I really just wonder how much of the starting pitching is going to be traded. I don’t see the Cubs trading all three of Garza, Dempster and Maholm. That’s three starters you have to replace in your rotation, and you’re probably going to shut down Smardzija at a point where you’ll need another starter for 5-6 games. If prospects are the only return you’re looking for, what is the Cubs’ September starting pitching staff? Wood, Volstad, Coleman, Rusin and Rowland-Smith?

#2 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Wood, Volstad, Rusin, Rodrigo Lopez, Wells maybe...
That may be enough to secure the No. 1 overall pick!

#3 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

If the cubs get a near major league ready pitcher that wouldnt be good enough for a contender this year but would be for the Cubs, he could slot into the rotation. It'd still likely be ugly but at least we'd get a glimpse of the future. I think its quite likely Demp is gone but not so much with Garza if the Cubs can get a good extension for him. Also maholm is far from a sure thing to be gone in my eyes.

#4 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm just hoping we trade all 3 of them for future value. This year is gone. I don't care if you are in the starting top 5.

#5 Caleb

Caleb

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Facebook:Caleb Shreves
  • LocationSt. Louis :(

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

I think you're right- probably just 1 of Dempster/Garza, and Dempster is more likely.

September? Who knows. I'd like to think we get some nearly-ready prospect and call him up. I'd like to grab Pomeranz from the Rockies if we could- I think that kid has some serious potential.

#6 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

Are any of the pitchers that have been rumored in any Dempster/Garza trades (Dodgers, Yankees, Orioles) near ready? or would they all be headed to AA and AAA (or lower)?

#7 sven-erik312

sven-erik312

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'm with you Patrick, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that all three of them will still be here at the end of the season. I just don't think the Cubs will get what they want for those guys. That's not to say that they are not worth the asking price the Cubs are demanding from other teams, but with most teams seeming to trend towards homegrown talent and away from free agency, I don't think the other teams are as willing to give up their futures as they were a number of years ago. I think for example of how long it took for a team to sign Cecil Fielder earlier this year.

#8 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Dempster will be traded. He's a free agent at the end of the year, so the Cubs will take the best offer they can get for him.

Garza not a sure thing to be traded at all. He's 28 years old and remains under contract after this year. Young with plenty of years left in him should keep the Cubbies from moving him unless they get blown away by an offer. I think they will get blown away with all the interest we've been reading (if the rumors are true). I think he's gone to the highest bidder.

Maholm is 30 years old and not considered nearly as good as the first two guys, though the way he's pitched over his last 5 or so starts has made him look the part. He is older, so I think it would take less to pry him away from the Cubs, but I think he's still young enough with a good enough contract to keep them from moving him for anything less than a couple decent prospects. I'm not real sure what Theo and Jed consider 'decent' though. My gut says they won't get a good enough offer to warrant trading Maholm, but I'm been wrong several times before.

It would be great to see the Cubs trade all 3 of these guys for a bunch of top 100 prospects and restock our farm system even more than they ever have. Will that happen? I dunno. Luke brought up some really good points as to why this is a better seller's market than it has been in the past (i.e. additional wildcard team). Would like to hear his thoughts on this one.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#9 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Dempster is gone to highest bidder to whom he'll accept a trade. I expect him to go to the Dodgers (his reported preference), but they'll have to make a competitive offer.

Garza is almost certainly gone, unless he agrees to a team-friendly extension before the trade deadline. I can't imagine that he'd be worth more in the off-season than he'll be worth on July 31, when his new team would have him for their stretch run, all of next season, and still receive two high draft picks if they make a minimum offer (in the $12-13 range) and he signs elsewhere. Jed and Theo may not be happy with the return they get for Garza, but there's little chance they'd get a better offer later.

I think Maholm stays, since his market value is perhaps a B prospect, and trading all three pitchers would put incredible stress on the bullpen.

I would be shocked if the Cubs traded Castro, Rizzo or Javier Baez. Otherwise, I think everyone else is available, other than the first-year players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).