36 replies to this topic

#31 Mick(City)

Mick(City)

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

What about Smyly, Flynn, Burgos? I like the idea of getting LHP in return.

A) Welcome to the board.

B) I'd still say no. Smyly is a back end guy at best and the other two names are just non-starters. If you don't get at least one piece better than Smyly/Crosby, I believe you've failed.

I'm not so sure Smyly is a back end guy and even so, he's MLB ready, young, and controllable for a long time. What else can you ask for, for 3 month rental on an expiring contract where the acquiring team doesn't get a compensatory draft pick when he doesn't sign with them at the end of the season? I'd also consider Below as a viable option as well.

#32 Cubbyboy13

Cubbyboy13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Would you guys be okay with a Dempster for Barnes straight up trade from the Red Sox?

#33 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Would you guys be okay with a Dempster for Barnes straight up trade from the Red Sox?

Absolutely. In a heart beat.

#34 Cubbyboy13

Cubbyboy13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Absolutely. In a heart beat.

My thoughts exactly

#35 Cubbyboy13

Cubbyboy13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

What about a package with the cardinals that was based around zach cox, kolten wong, and tyrell jackson? This offer should intrigue the Cubs for example if they traded Dempster and Barney to the cardinals. Any thoughts?

#36 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I assume you mean Tyrell Jenkins.

I'm not sure Cox is different enough from Vitters to make that trade worth it. I'm not certain how they compare defensively, but last I heard Cox wasn't exactly great.

I might drop him from the offer and see if the Cards would do Dempster for just Wong and Jenkins. The Cubs might need to kick in someone like Arismendy Alcantara to get it done.

If the Cards would deal Wong. They appear to be unbelievable high on him.

In any permutation, I don't see the Cubs taking a package like that over the pitchers the Braves, Blue Jays, Dodgers, or Red Sox could potentially offer.

#37 Cubbyboy13

Cubbyboy13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

I did mean Jenkins sorry. I was typing and did not notice that I typed Jackson. I am not too high on the Dodgers system though. In order for a Cubs Dodgers trade to even be worth it, I would want there top 3 pitching prospects and nothing less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).