#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Since June 24, not including today's 0-4, Castro had a line of .175/.261/.228. Not good at all. While I'm not o trtth concerned long term, it makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Rudy Jaramillo, his hitting coach throughout his young big league career departed a few weeks prior to the start of this extended slump.

While I'm not much of a believer in the effect of one hitting coach vs. another in regards to vereran players who have been doing things one way for years, in the case of a young player like Castro, A they're likely to have more of an impact.

#2 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

What a strange double posting.

#3 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

His timing looks quite off to me. I think he could use a day or two off in a row if this continues the next two series.

I don't think it has anything to do with the hitting coach, I think it's just one of those slumps, where a hitter struggles with their timing.

#4 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think he is working on his patience now that Rizzo is up. He seems to be taking more pitches anyway. If that is the case, I think that he is just trying to adjust right now. Anyone else think this might be what is going on? Certainly could just be a slump too, I'm not dismissing that.

#5 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think he is working on his patience now that Rizzo is up. He seems to be taking more pitches anyway. If that is the case, I think that he is just trying to adjust right now. Anyone else think this might be what is going on? Certainly could just be a slump too, I'm not dismissing that.

I think it's both. He's doin something complete off of what he had been doing with the taking of pitches, and when someone goes through that change, they slump. No biggie IMO

#6 Whiteflag

Whiteflag

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think its a combination of the approach at the plate and his timing. Hitters go through slumps, I have no doubt he will break out of it soon. Brenly said today he thinks the change will be beneficial in the long run. I think he has a point, and a none contending year seems like a great time to work on it.

#7 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I think Castro is absolutely trying to change his approach and trying to wait for pitches in a certain zome (probably pressure from Thed). It's really effecting his hitting ability in a negative way. He's just not a patient hitter, and can't just change it. I wish he would go back to however he feels comfortable.

#8 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think Castro is absolutely trying to change his approach and trying to wait for pitches in a certain zome (probably pressure from Thed). It's really effecting his hitting ability in a negative way. He's just not a patient hitter, and can't just change it. I wish he would go back to however he feels comfortable.

He's not going to forget how to hit. We know his approach was never that great most likely because he was never challenged and forced to adjust in the minors. Good hitters are patient hitters, and he needs a chance to develop some patience. This is a shot season so lets just see what happens. I think a lot of people thought he could be nothing more than a liability on defense but I think hes showing hes taking strides in that regard as well. The kid is young and can still learn new tricks. At worst he will not improve, then go back to being a freeswinger and we'll be where we started its not like his game had much finesse to it. As long as they dont mess with his swing too much I say don't fret

#9 CapnCub

CapnCub

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think he is just going through a slump, I know it sounds to simple to say that, but that is just my take on it. I do believe as he works on his patience at the plate though he will start to crawl out of this shortly. I would like to hope.

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'd say it has more to do with him being a 22 year old shithead than anything. He's pressing way too much and needs to focus on his pitch selection... even if that means a couple weeks down in Iowa to hammer the point in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).