#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

For as long as I've participated in online Chicago Cubs communities, I've been Duff Man. That stretches back over eight years (I started out as a commenter on Scout's Cubs site, which, at the time, was called Cubs Talk - the wife, then girlfriend, used to prod my addiction: "do a lot of Cubs stalking today?").

So, when I talk about possibly changing things up, it's a tough decision.

In the spirit of being myself (this is, after all, my job), I'm kind of thinking I should be using a picture of myself. I'm not "Ace" here anymore, I'm Brett. And Brett isn't a thrusting Simpsons character - he's a petite, pale dude.

Is it going to be too much of a shock to folks if I change my avatar to a picture of myself? I know that, for me, I come to associate people with their avatars - I see the picture, and I know who it is. I don't even read the name. I suspect that same phenomenon is part of the reason why it remains easy to think of me as "Ace" - see the picture, think of Ace.

To be sure, I have no problem with people thinking of me as "Ace" or "Duff Man." I just wonder if, as I'm trying to be more of a "professional" with this gig (yes, that does sound lame), maybe I should truly be myself. Anyone see a huge issue?

#2 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

You must be planning on using this one. There is no reason for you to ever consider anything but this one:
Posted Image

#3 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

Dude, change your picture to anything you want. Hell, go with Danny Devito picture as the penguin.
As long as you keep up with good Cubs conversation it don't matter. If you write it, they will come. That sounds weird and creepy even as I write it with Field of Dreams in mind. Was life simpler when Field of Dreams was released or what??

#4 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:54 PM

I think that everyone will eventually get used to whatever new avatar you choose so you'll definitely be fine. But thank you for the advance notice so I don't have a freakout once it does change.

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

Brett, go ahead and use whatever avatar makes you happy. The same does not apply to GOH, you my friend must keep that same avatar forever.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

Ace, Brett, whatever, dude. A guy's gotta do what he feels he must. No biggie.

Two things though. First, it's awfully easy for a newcomer to the site to find out more about you. Every post, every comment has "Brett" or "admin" or both tagged at the end, and the "About" link at the top -- the very first link on the front page -- has far, far more information about you than anyone really needs to hijack your identity. Or something.

Second, I gotta agree with Dave. If you do drop Duffman, you have no choice but to become Dorkman. Or whatever you'd call that pic.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

You guys make me chuckle. I realize I phrased the initial post more dramatically than I intended.

Separately, I'm not sure how much credibility Dork Man buys me. Then again, I'm not sure how much credibility I deserve.

#8 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

That picture has everything you need:
A Cubs shirt
Some woman's legs
A non-threatening pose
A watch

#9 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

A Cubs shirt
Some woman's legs
A non-threatening pose
A watch

Yeah, but it shows my wedding ring - I mean, what if a bunch of sexy ladies (including, perhaps, the one to which the legs belong) want to roll with this? How could you not, given the rest of the picture?

#10 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Photoshop it out, there is no way that could come back to haunt you.

#11 Glenallens One Homer

Glenallens One Homer

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:32 PM

I smell some hilarious sitcom marriage hijinks!

#12 Laura

Laura

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

A Cubs shirt
Some woman's legs
A non-threatening pose
A watch

Yeah, but it shows my wedding ring - I mean, what if a bunch of sexy ladies (including, perhaps, the one to which the legs belong) want to roll with this? How could you not, given the rest of the picture?

What?! You don't want your avatar to show your wedding ring? Sounds like something Duff Man would do. Don't you blaspheme in here!*

Also, I'm guessing from your comments those must be your wife's legs.

#13 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Brett I agree its probably considered more professional for the admin to use an actual image of himself along with his actual name. However I've enjoyed creating an alter-ego that was born here on BN, and go to great length to keep my official name separate from MG- primarily because as an educator I don't want this part of my persona to be associated with my professional teacher name, but the economy is forcing me to look for other professional opportunities so someday that may change.

Here is a proposal: Find a professional that can create a few avatars that will show your real face and then let us here on BN vote on the favorite. I suggest you do a Duff Man pose with the same background you have now. Regardless it would be fun to be able to vote on the new face of Bleacher Nation.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#14 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

Option 2: Become Duff Man IRL

#15 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

A Cubs shirt
Some woman's legs
A non-threatening pose
A watch

What?! You don't want your avatar to show your wedding ring? Sounds like something Duff Man would do. Don't you blaspheme in here!*

Also, I'm guessing from your comments those must be your wife's legs.

Come on now, Laura. My wife is a reader. It was very much a joke. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).