100 Years of Tears

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

My family and I are heading to Cooperstown this weekend for the Santo induction. We are so excited. This is actually my son's 10th birthday present... he got to choose a trip anywhere (within reason) and he chose Cooperstown. Win, win! Shortly thereafter, they announced that Ronnie made it and we decided that would be the weekend of our trip.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if any other BNers will be at the induction. Maybe we could get together at the Cubs event on Saturday?

Hope to see some of you there!!!

#2 justinjabs

justinjabs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Twitter:justinjabs
  • LocationMilwaukee

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

Smart kid. Have a blast.

Posted Image

"With Reed we will succeed."
Twitter -- Blog

#3 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Just finished watching "This Old Cub" again on MLBtv. Can't help but shed a tear at the end when Eddie sings "All the way".

Go get'em, #10!

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

Real nice writeup on Santo here: http://sportsillustr...?sct=mlb_t12_a4

Writer makes the argument that part of Santo's problem with getting in early was that he came onto the ballot before Bill James revolutionized baseball statistics later in the decade with emphasis on OBP (from '63-'73 only Yaz and Killebrew had more walks than Santo) and undervaluing his defensive value.

In fact, according to WAR when he first got on the ballot in 1980, he was rated the 3nd best 3rd baseman in baseball after Eddie Matthews and Brooks Robinson. Boggs was in the minors, and Brett and Schmidt had yet to reach their peak years.

Long story short: if Santo retired 10 years later he would have been in the hall 20 years earlier.

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Cooperstown induction weekend was awesome. Got the chance to meet Sutter, Beckert, Hundley, and Sandberg. Rickey Henderson too! Great town and setting. Vicky Santo's speech was excellent.... Way more compelling than Larkin's.

#6 100 Years of Tears

100 Years of Tears

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Twitter:@ChuckDarwin1
  • LocationGeneva, Illinois

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:29 AM

Yeah Spriggs... it was an amazing weekend. I have to say the Cubs Fan Fest was a first class event. It was like a big family reunion with Cubs greats just milling about. Even the Ricketts family was waiting in lines for food and the bathrooms... that was awesome to see. And my son got several great autographs and photos.

It was an unforgettable experience all weekend long.

#7 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yeah Spriggs... it was an amazing weekend. I have to say the Cubs Fan Fest was a first class event. It was like a big family reunion with Cubs greats just milling about. Even the Ricketts family was waiting in lines for food and the bathrooms... that was awesome to see. And my son got several great autographs and photos.

It was an unforgettable experience all weekend long.

Yeah, it was unforgettable for us too, 100 Years... The town is just so cool. I thought that Pat Hughes was awesome as the moderator for those panel discussions at the Cubs FanFest, which was a great event the Cubs sponsored. Beckert was such a nice guy to chat with. I will have to go back some day. Maybe for the simultaneous Baez/Soler/Almora inductions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).