#1 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:mwerner1814

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

So I'm on vacation in Daytona and caught a D-Cubs game. While I was at the game I jotted down a few notes. I don't have a lot from when the Cubs were pitching because that was the usual beer run time (yay Yuengling).
Matt Loosen got the start for the Cubs and pitched a gem. Hit 90s on his fastball even when they took him out in the 8th. He threw a ton of fastballs, missed his spots a couple of times but was overall damn good. He started losing some of his command in the seventh but stayed into the eighth. The Cubs almost made the most amazing double play but the throw was late to first.
Hitting wise most of my attention was on Szczur, Torryes and Riddling. All had ok games Szczur had a couple of RBIs and had some good at bats. He hit a grounder back to the pitcher who made a throwing error to first. Szczur tried to stretch it to a double since the ball was in shallow right but was barely thrown out at second. Dude was fast. He was also thrown out at third after going from first to third but knocked the ball out of the third basemans glove.
In the end, the cubs won and the bullpen didn't blow the game like they were doing last week.
Oh yea, about that title. I went to go get a couple of autographs after the game. I told Szczur I couldn't wait to see him in a real Cubs uniform and he said "you too buddy". Naturally I squealed because hey Matt Szczur couldnt wait to see me in a Cubs uniform. On the way out I was talking to the fiancée about it and she claims he said "me too buddy". ...I'm going with my story. Hey, Theo, I'm a third base guy.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hey, Theo, I'm a third base guy.

Cubs are kind of deep at third. Can you move to second?

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

Good luck butlerdawgs. I just hope we can expect the same type of OBP that we've come to expect from Ian Stewart. I'm sure the glove is already there.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:37 AM

I can move to second if I need to. I just want to do whatever I can to make the cubs a better team.

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

How did Elieser Bonne look to you? His numbers have been erratic, as I would expect for a guy who jumped from the DSL to Daytona, and that means good first hand accounts of him could be good to have.

#6 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

How long are you going to be in Daytona? I'm heading up this weekend for my annual summer trip before school starts back up. I'm going to be at all 3 games in Jupiter this weekend before driving back and forth for the crazy minor league home and home with Brevard County early next week.

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Ha. This is swell.

#8 butlerdawgs

butlerdawgs

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Luke - Erratic would be a good word. He made great contact but also looked silly swinging at a few curves. I believe he was the one that hit an absolute scorcher down the third base line that could have been a double but the third baseman made a great play and threw him out at first. It was remarkable.
Jeff - ill be leaving Saturday morning unfortunately. I was hoping to go to the game on Monday when they have the greatest promotion ever.... Belly buster Monday presented by WHOG only fitting it's all you can eat most concessions.

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Luke - Erratic would be a good word. He made great contact but also looked silly swinging at a few curves. I believe he was the one that hit an absolute scorcher down the third base line that could have been a double but the third baseman made a great play and threw him out at first. It was remarkable.
Jeff - ill be leaving Saturday morning unfortunately. I was hoping to go to the game on Monday when they have the greatest promotion ever.... Belly buster Monday presented by WHOG only fitting it's all you can eat most concessions.

I definitely planned on hitting up Belly Buster Monday. Daytona has some of the coolest promotions in the minors. I was also hoping Baez would be in Daytona by the time I made my trip, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen until the end of August at the earliest, which is too late for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).