fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Come on I know there's got to be some good ones that y'all have racked up in the rec league.

I've been playing in my league since I was eligible so something like ten or eleven years. One year we went undefeated but then all our ringers either moved away or got married. We've gotten so bad that I'm the leadoff hitter and CF* even though I'm not exactly the prototypical size for either position (I'm 6'4 and... well I never won any races in my life). This isn't exactly a super competitive league other than a couple teams loaded with ringers--hell I faced a pitcher with a prosthetic leg a couple weeks ago. This doesn't mean I half ass it, as evidenced today.

*We have four outfielders in this league, but I play center-right which means I'm also covering for right which since it is usually played by somebody's mom or a really really fat guy.

I've been having an awful year hitting somewhere around .500 most of the season--I hit .815 last year--I even struck out my last game so I've been taking everything I could get. So I cracked a grounder to third and bolted to first. I awkwardly stepped on first base so that my right foot landed on it's side and I heard a loud CRACK and felt a sharp pain in my ankle/foot. I called for a designated runner (usually reserved for the elderly) and hobbled to the bench. I took the next inning off and POPPED MY FOOT BACK IN PLACE which hurt like hell but I got two more hits and had to shift over to right where thankfully nothing was hit back to me. Now it's wrapped up and swollen quite nicely and still hurts like hell but I took some of that medicine TWC likes so much and it isn't that god awful.

Which reminded me of all the other sweet injuries I've received over the years... like how I bruised myself severely after the time I thought I hit a home run and got so excited I tripped over third and almost got thrown out while crawling back to third... or the time I had to play second base (really hard for a lefty to do) and took a ground ball right in the Sacajawea. Do y'all have some great war stories? They could be from your t-ball days if you're not a slow pitch softball superstar like me

#2 hansman1982

hansman1982

King Regent of The Calendar Trivia Empire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Twitter:JoeHansman
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I've been pretty lucky in that I haven't had any serious sports injuries (sans a dislocated pinky playing catch that required 2 doctors to reset) (watch, now I break my femur and hip this weekend).

The dumbest one I have seen is from our pitcher who somehow got a giant raspberry on his lower leg and didn't treat it very well. Ended up getting staph and IV antibiotics, this year he broke his arm being a ballhog on a popup to short.

I play third on a team that had a ringer but has since had "stuff going on" every Sunday night (we are terrible and he is really good), but only because I refuse to do the running that the outfield requires in a co-ed league.

#3 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Last season, our first baseman took his eye off of my throw from third and took it right to the face. I've never seen someone bleed so much from the face, it was like a bad horror movie. The next week he showed up with a Bill Laimbeer mask on his face, looking like he got hit between the eyes by a Buick.

#4 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

My brother blew out his knee playing competitive rec league softball about 4 years ago. He might finally have the needed surgery on it this summer.

... but I took some of that medicine TWC likes so much and it isn't that god awful.

Waitaminnit... you mean drugs?!?! I'm shocked, shocked!

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,641 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I play right center for my kickball team (same deal: I'm basically covering for both RF and LC), and I dive far more often than I should. I hurt my knee early in the season - the third time I've hurt the same knee playing kickball - and eventually I'm going to have to get it looked at. It hasn't allowed me to go up stairs pain-free in three years.

#6 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

I was pitching for our intramural team in college when some 300 pound man-freak rugby player crushed a line drive into my face. The ball ricocheted off my face into my glove, which I hadn't even had time to lift in self-defense. By the next inning my jaw had swollen up like a melon.

Everybody on my team kept giving me high-fives thinking I'd snagged the come-backer with cat-like reflexes, when if I'd actually had cat-like reflexes, I would've just jumped the heck out of the way. Some people are willing to sacrifice their bodies for the good of their intramural softball teams. I am not one of those people. I moved to catcher after that, and conveniently stepped out of the way whenever there was a play at the plate, and a rugby player came in looking to take my head off.

#7 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

here's what it looked like when I got up around noon:
Posted Image
and here it is now:
Posted Image

hahaha SirCub's reminds me of the time that one of our players hit a comebacker that ricocheted off the aforementioned one legged pitcher's prosthesis. That didn't really count as an injury though...

#8 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

BUMP

Today we had a really nasty, but small storm delay my game.  I was really concerned I was going to hurt myself because our OF is dangerous enough as it is dry.  My team's horrible, like I can't remember the last time we won a game.  We went winless last season and this season so at least two years.  We're getting no hit through the third inning which never happens in this league.  I'm usually the 1B/3B coach when I'm not on deck.  Hitter hits a grounder on the left side of the field, beats the throw out and drops.  I was afraid the same thing happened to him that happened to me in the OP or, at the very least, he slipped on the bag because of the light drizzle.  I ran over to see if he was alright and didn't even notice until I got there that the first baseman was also prone.  The guy was standing on first base with his plant foot on the foul side of the base and our player tripped over it.  I knew he was fucked the second I looked at the 1B's ankle... when they were carrying him off the field his ankle was wobbling around in a horrific manner.  They called an ambulance for him, the next thunderstorm arrived, and we decided that was a good time to suspend the game.  We'll have to break the losing streak some other time.

So please, if you're ever going to play first base PUT YOUR PLANT FOOT ON THE PITCHER'S SIDE OF THE BAG

#9 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Wow, that 1B deserved everything he got...

but I somehow missed this one the first time through:

... when I got up around noon:

SLACKER!!!! You and TWC would be besties...

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

I woke up at five in the afternoon today hahaha. not having rigid work hours rules

#11 hansman1982

hansman1982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

I woke up at five in the afternoon today hahaha. not having rigid work hours rules

Man, I did something wrong in life.

#12 calicubsfan007

calicubsfan007

The Guy Who Came Back From the Dead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationWherever I Am, There I Am

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

Ouch dude, the pics sure as hell don't look promising.  Any improvement?  And yeah, the lightweights of the slow pitch teams tend to play right field.  Sorry Brett. :D

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

I hope it has improved. Those photos were from 2012.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#14 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

I don't go running/jogging because of a health condition (I puke, a lot), so I didn't actually test it out until opening day earlier this month on the basepaths/OF.  It's sore after the game but it hasn't slowed me down.

OH MY GOD TIM YOUR QUOTE

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I thought I it was time to change it up a bit.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).