5 replies to this topic

#1 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

I was wondering why most people think it would be a good idea for the Cubs to aquire a 3rd baseman like Olt or Castellanos? Yes, those guys are studs. But we have Baez, Lake, and Vitters in the minors. Our guys may have some questions, but we have other needs. 3rd base and outfield prospects seem to be our strength. Our minor league starting pitching is terrible. I think we should only receive pitching back for Garza and Demp. In my opinion the biggest task our front office has is to make our pitching respectable, and they got some serious work to do there.

#2 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

I agree, but I don't ever think that a team can have to many good prospects at any position. If every one pans out then maybee even as early as this time next year, we might be the ones dealing prospects for stars??? Great pitching is very hard to find. Maybee next year we can trade for some. Basicly what I am trying to say is, get the best deal we can for all of these guys, and worry about any possible surplus later. We need to improve our players.

#3 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

You certainly don't turn down an Olt or Castellanos for what "could be" in A ball. Look at the Cubs farm from 02-04. They were top 3-5 every year and ended up producing almost no one from those prospects.

You always take quality over quantity, regardless of position.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I wouldn't turn down Olt or Castellanos, but I wouldn't target them either. It makes more sense for a team to focus their efforts in improving the areas where they are weak. For the Cubs, that's high ceiling pitching.

That doesn't mean I'd pass on Castellanos, but I'd rather have the pitching. That said, when all the offers are on the table, you take the one with best overall talent.

Ties go to the package with the better pitching.

#5 Cubs Dude

Cubs Dude

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

You certainly don't turn down an Olt or Castellanos for what "could be" in A ball. Look at the Cubs farm from 02-04. They were top 3-5 every year and ended up producing almost no one from those prospects.

You always take quality over quantity, regardless of position.

Well obviously if Olt and Castellanos could be had for cheap, absolutely I would take them. But I don't see the point in making them the primary return in a deal. If all things are close at all to equal I would take young pitching all day. Young pitching is a huge problem with the Cubs currently.

#6 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

Theo said today he is looking for pitching, pitching, and more pitching. Also mentioned he is looking for a third baseman, center fielder, and catcher.

per Levine:
“As a whole and not specifically regarding these potential deals that are upcoming, we need to add a lot of pitching,” Epstein said Wednesday. “It is not enough to have just a handful (of pitching prospects). We need waves and waves of pitching coming through the system, and we do not have that.”
The Cubs also are looking for quality third-base prospects and would not turn down a top-flight catcher or center fielder either. But pitching likely will be expected back for any trade involving Garza or Dempster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).