#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Don't look now, but the A's are 49-44 and .5 game out in the Wild Card.

Anything that we have that could be of use to them? I think so.

The first thing that comes to mind is Soriano. Billy Beane and the A's would be a great trade partner assuming we were willing to eat 90-95% of his salary. Unfortunately, they already have Reddick (LH), Seth Smithe (LH), and Cespedes (RH) giving them great production in the OF. Additonally, they have very good production from Johnny Gomes, also RH at the DH spot, so they really don't have a place for a similar player.

Despite all of their OF production, they're getting none from their infield. Chris Carter has been amazing since coming up. However, between 3B, SS, and 2B, they have Jemille Weeks (.221/.307/.304), Brandon Inge (.208/.272/.361), Brandon Hicks (.171/,.216/.343), and Eric Sogard (.151/.195/.274), as well as a few other equally awful hitters they've cycled through throughout the season. Jeff Baker could appeal to them, though he won't bring in much. How about Darwin Barney? He'd certainly be an upgrade at any of those spots, and the type of value that Beane would really appreciate. Perhaps Luis Valbuena would appeal to them. Again, we wouldn't get much for him. Of course there's Blake DeWitt, but he's been as bad as any of the A's current options and that's in the PCL.

Their starting ctacher, Kurt Suzuki is hitting .210/.245/.259. While Soto doesnt look much better at .191/.274/.350, he's really picked things up as of late, and could appeal to them as well. They've had a lot of injuries to their starting pitchers, as well as injury waiting to happen Bartolo Colon.

Thoughts?

#2 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Didn't Kurt Suzuki use to get blasted about his game calling and handling of pitchers (e.g., not helping pitchers out by framing pitches, etc.)?

Also Suzuki is making a tick over 5million this year, ~6.5M next year and close to league min in 2014. Compared to Soto's 4.3M this year and arbitration upcoming. Not that I'm suggesting a Suzuki for Soto swap, as I'm sure the Cubs wouldn't want that. But what are the As doing with Suzuki? Just dumping salary (their 2nd highest behind Cespedes)?... somewhere?

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Soler and Conception for Cespedes

Posted Image

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Haha. Awesome.

(as for the subject, great question - not sure Cubs are a great match for their needs, though, other than maybe, as you said, Barney, whom I don't think the Cubs really want to trade)

#5 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

I doubt they'd want him unless it's at SS... Weeks is one of their top prospects who is just going through a sophomore slump... he had a 110 OPS+ his rookie year

#6 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

Haha. Awesome.

(as for the subject, great question - not sure Cubs are a great match for their needs, though, other than maybe, as you said, Barney, whom I don't think the Cubs really want to trade)

The Cubs should add Barney with 0 reservation if it could end up a 7+ player blockbuster, including 1 of Parker/Gray/Cole/Milone and 1 of Peacock/Griffin/Ross. With Beane and Epstein across the table from eachother, guys could switch sides who we wouldn't even think of.

#7 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I doubt they'd want him unless it's at SS... Weeks is one of their top prospects who is just going through a sophomore slump... he had a 110 OPS+ his rookie year

That's Darwin's natural position.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

That's Darwin's natural position.

It's also where he might be far more valuable.

#9 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

This could make just as much sense in the Winter. We really, really need pitching prospects. Vizcaino was a great start, but who know when he'll be ready, and when he is if he'll be a starter or a reliever.

Back to Oakland and their young pitching: Parker, Straily, Cole, Gray, Peacock, Milone, Griffin and a few lesser guys like Ross and Krol.

Oakland's big need: Infielders who can hit. Any chance that we could offer a package build around Vitters and one of our young middle infielders: Lake, Alcantara, or Hernandez for one of their pitchers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).