I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@Corey_Holthaus
  • LocationSouthern Illinois

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hello all,

I had a friend talk to me tonight and ask if I wanted to do a mock trade discussion involving the Cubs and Braves, with the main piece being Dempster.

The end result ended up being Dempster (and 4 million of his remaining contract), Vitters, Tony Zych, and P.J. Francescon for Julio Terehan, Arodys Vizcaino, J.R. Graham, and Ruben Gotay.

Both sides accomplish what they want, I believe. The Cubs would be getting their impact pitchers, and the Braves would be getting a 3B to replace Chipper (allowing Prado to stay in Left). Gotay was involved solely for depth at AAA, as Cardenas would likely shift to 3B if Vitters were dealt.

The big thing here is Vizcaino being out for the year after having TJ surgery, so that is pretty risky, and would also require Selig's approval. We discussed afterward, and Delgado would have also been acceptable instead of Vizcaino.

This said, what does BN think of the trade? Would the Cubs give up too much? Is it not enough for the Braves to accept? Or is it just right?

#2 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

There's no benefit for us or anyone to have Ruben Gotay. we have 2 of him in Iowa.

If we really want Terehan+ Delgado or Vizcaino, it's going to cost Garza and not 2 months of Dempster. This being said, I'd send them Garza, replace Vitters with Junior Lake, and ZYch and Francescon or another fringe prospect. Also, they can dig throguh the scrap bin, Baker/Johnson/Camp if they need any of them for Tehrehan, Delgado or Vizcaino, and another piece or 2.

#3 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

I had a chat with a bud of mine too about this. I suggested Demp and Camp for Minor and Delgado. I know thats a lot but a lot of the braves I know want to be rid of Delgado

#4 Cerambam

Cerambam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Twitter:cerambam1736
  • Facebook:michael Anthony

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

^ haha

#5 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Looks like you could see Demp for Delgado, but if we throw in camp we would never see Minor.

#6 BeneathTheBleachers

BeneathTheBleachers

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:@Wains_World23
  • LocationSouthern Illinois - Indianapolis

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

Lot of prospects involved here. Demp for Delgado seems to be a good deal, but I still want to get Zach Lee from LAD.

#7 Dougy D

Dougy D

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Facebook:Matt Crayne

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Looks like the mock might not be necessary do to the reports of the Dempster for Delgado trade (we'll see if it's true). I think that we would be giving up too much in that deal though (the mock).

#8 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

If the Braves really have pulled the Delgado offer, and Ned Coletti thinks that he has more leverage than he does, here's an alternative: warning, it might not be well received. Offer him back to the Braves for Jair Jurrjens plus 2 low level prospects with high ceilings. I don't know who they'd be, but that's one of both Jed and Theo's speciaties, evaluating hidden talents.

Jurrjens has been horrible this year. However, it wasn't long ago that he was one the top up-and comers of the game. It may seem like he's been around for a while, and that he must be pushing 30, but he'll be 27 in January. He also has another season left under team control, giving us a year to decide if he's worth hanging on to. It might seem like a rip off for Dempster, but it's two weeks of Dempster, and we need to get something, even if we do plan to re-sign him next year. I'd much rather take a risk on Jurrjens than some fringy middle reliever.

Now with Greinke off the market, Dempster really is the best option. While Josh Johnson, who is on the market and Cliff Lee who might be on the market might be more attractive on the surface, they'll be a hell of a lot more cost;y in terms of cash and/or player return. Atlanta's already said that they don't have much money to offer, so unless they want to empty out their farm system, Dempster's the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).