#1 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

I had been looking forward to seeing the Peoria Chiefs in South Bend to play the Silverhawks, for some time, especially after reading about how well some of the Cubs prospects have been doing. I was HOPING that Soler or Almora might be assigned to the Chiefs, but no such luck. However a few of the Cubs prospects who ARE on the squad made up for that little disappointment.

I was able to attend the series opener on Saturday night and was treated to some spectacular play. Javier Baez was AMAZING! He went 3-4, was a double shy of hitting for the cycle and his HR was a two run monster blast! That game extended his hit streak to 16 games, but he wasn't just great at the plate. He had three plays at short that were nothing short of unbelievable! If Baez continues playing as he has been, Starlin Castro better find himself a good outfielder glove!

Baez wasn't the only prospect to earn some attention. Pin-Chieh Chen went 2-4 with a double and a triple. Pitcher Zach Cates started for the Chiefs, though he didn't have a quality start. He only lasted three innings while the Silverhawks got 8 hits and scored 6 runs (4 earned). On the positive side, he didn't walk any batters and stuck out three.

Yesterday, though I wasn't able to go to the game, Baez didn't fare quite so well. He went o-fer, not able to get a hit and sadly ended his hit streak at 16 games. At one point the Chiefs loaded the bases, only to have Baez ground out to end the inning. He also made a costly error while playing at SS.

The Silverhawks are looking to sweep the chiefs tonight. Hopefully the weather holds out and I am able to see the "little Cubs" play one more time before they bus out of South Bend.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

Good stuff.

I think this just means that you need to follow Javier Baez around to every one of his games for the next twenty years or so. After all, he played well when you were there, but not when you weren't.

#3 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

I know they don't want to rush prospects, but I would love to see Baez move up to Daytona.

#4 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

"He had three plays at short that were nothing short of unbelievable! If Baez continues playing as he has been, Starlin Castro better find himself a good outfielder glove!"

Saw him play at Kane County and was just so smooth at short. Just made everything look so easy. He put one up over the center field score board. Had to put it at 410-415 feet.
Kid is a keeper.

#5 Dougy D

Dougy D

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Facebook:Matt Crayne

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

"Kid is a keeper. "

You bet your butt he is. I was also fortunate enough to see him play in Cedar Rapids. He sent yard and has a sweet looking swing. The glove looked good, as mentioned before, smooth. I have a feeling that he will get a call up in September 2013 or called up in 2014. I may be too optimistic, but he looked good.

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

I was a bit rushed when composing the initial post for this topic (doing it at work and had a meeting to prepare for).

A few other "tidbits" from Javier Baez's game in SB Saturday that I wanted to add.
- Baez's 2 run HR monster blast to which I referred was pretty darned impressive. (a big understatement) It was a thundering hit to straight-center field which is 405' to the wall. Even more amazing, the center-field batter's backdrop is a stucture that houses the batting cages and stands 30 feet tall (and yes, it's green). Baez's homer easily cleared this structure and was estimated to have traveled at least 450 feet!
- It was THE biggest shot I have witnessed at The Cove in all of my years attending the SB Silverhawks (and SB White Sox) games.
- Javier Baez is only the FOURTH minor league player to have hit a home run that cleared the "green monster" since the stadium began hosting minor league games (1988).

#7 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I've seen Javier hit for power to all fields in Mesa during extended spring training. He swings with such speed and ease that it's a thrill to watch him hit.

Recently I've seen Jorge Soler playing here in the AZL. Another guy with an amazing swing, bat speed and power. After watching Soler hit a sizzling line drive home run last night - and beat out an infield roller, I must say that I haven't been this excited about a Cubs prospect since... well... Javier Baez.

#8 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

I don't think Soler will be in the AZL for long. The FO has said they would be willing to move him up fast if he is playing well. He is looking very good so far.

#9 Quinn

Quinn

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:mikequinn_
  • LocationNormal, IL

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

This has a HR by Baez from last week:

#10 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hi,

Looks like this topis is appropriately named, ups and downs....

Just looked up his Daytona stats and he is hitting .091 after six games. I thought to myself, this may well be a good thing, the game is not as easy as he has been making it look. Now we will see how well he listens and how good the coaches are.

regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).