Series Internetz-view: Cubs vs Reds 4/18/14 - 4/20/14
miggy80 - Apr 18 2014 10:05 AM
Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:
Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:
Bleacher Nation Posts
- Enhanced Box Score: Reds 4, Cubs 8 – April 19, 2014
Yesterday, 03:59 PM
- Pre-Gamin’: Reds v. Cubs (1:20 CT) – Lineups, Broadcast Info, etc.
Yesterday, 10:41 AM
- It Sounds Like Jake Arrieta Could Be Back Soon
Yesterday, 08:45 AM
- Fan Positivity Reserves Running Low Already and Other Bullets
Yesterday, 07:45 AM
- Enhanced Box Score: Reds 4, Cubs 1 – April 18, 2014
Apr 18 2014 03:39 PM
Upcoming Calendar Events
Baez - Ups and Downs
Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:10 AM
I was able to attend the series opener on Saturday night and was treated to some spectacular play. Javier Baez was AMAZING! He went 3-4, was a double shy of hitting for the cycle and his HR was a two run monster blast! That game extended his hit streak to 16 games, but he wasn't just great at the plate. He had three plays at short that were nothing short of unbelievable! If Baez continues playing as he has been, Starlin Castro better find himself a good outfielder glove!
Baez wasn't the only prospect to earn some attention. Pin-Chieh Chen went 2-4 with a double and a triple. Pitcher Zach Cates started for the Chiefs, though he didn't have a quality start. He only lasted three innings while the Silverhawks got 8 hits and scored 6 runs (4 earned). On the positive side, he didn't walk any batters and stuck out three.
Yesterday, though I wasn't able to go to the game, Baez didn't fare quite so well. He went o-fer, not able to get a hit and sadly ended his hit streak at 16 games. At one point the Chiefs loaded the bases, only to have Baez ground out to end the inning. He also made a costly error while playing at SS.
The Silverhawks are looking to sweep the chiefs tonight. Hopefully the weather holds out and I am able to see the "little Cubs" play one more time before they bus out of South Bend.
Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM
Saw him play at Kane County and was just so smooth at short. Just made everything look so easy. He put one up over the center field score board. Had to put it at 410-415 feet.
Kid is a keeper.
Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:26 PM
You bet your butt he is. I was also fortunate enough to see him play in Cedar Rapids. He sent yard and has a sweet looking swing. The glove looked good, as mentioned before, smooth. I have a feeling that he will get a call up in September 2013 or called up in 2014. I may be too optimistic, but he looked good.
Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:36 AM
A few other "tidbits" from Javier Baez's game in SB Saturday that I wanted to add.
- Baez's 2 run HR monster blast to which I referred was pretty darned impressive. (a big understatement) It was a thundering hit to straight-center field which is 405' to the wall. Even more amazing, the center-field batter's backdrop is a stucture that houses the batting cages and stands 30 feet tall (and yes, it's green). Baez's homer easily cleared this structure and was estimated to have traveled at least 450 feet!
- It was THE biggest shot I have witnessed at The Cove in all of my years attending the SB Silverhawks (and SB White Sox) games.
- Javier Baez is only the FOURTH minor league player to have hit a home run that cleared the "green monster" since the stadium began hosting minor league games (1988).
Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:49 AM
Recently I've seen Jorge Soler playing here in the AZL. Another guy with an amazing swing, bat speed and power. After watching Soler hit a sizzling line drive home run last night - and beat out an infield roller, I must say that I haven't been this excited about a Cubs prospect since... well... Javier Baez.
Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:21 AM
Looks like this topis is appropriately named, ups and downs....
Just looked up his Daytona stats and he is hitting .091 after six games. I thought to myself, this may well be a good thing, the game is not as easy as he has been making it look. Now we will see how well he listens and how good the coaches are.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).