Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

-if the deal falls through, it's not the end of the world...Delgado could flame out like many other prospects before him

-we are just really upset because we thought it was done, we feel like Delgado was stolen from was when in actuality...we never had him

-I still say(although I could be proven wrong by the time I am done writng this) it gets done...even if he really doesn't want to go to Atlanta, it's a losing situation for him if he says no

-I am a bit tired of much of the Dempster love out there...he was the one who said he would like to help out the Cubs and he put the Braves at number 2 on his list...I am usually pro-player vs. management but the Cubs have been great to Dempster

-I will not blame Cub fans at all for booing him if he pitches at Wrigley for the Cubs again...

-I will say...please no Zach Lee...he appears to be the best of a bad system...

-for you older types. this whole situation has a certain McGriffian feel to it...

#2 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

I just wish this would get resolved soon. I am getting really sick of hearing all the rumors of why the deal will or will not get done. The only thing that really upsets me about it is Dempster lead everyone to believe he would be willing to accept a deal that would help the Cubs. The Braves were on a short list of teams that interested him, so whats the hold up?

#3 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

deep breath deep breath deep breath deep breath
/huff spraypaint
ahhhhhhh
Posted Image

#4 Edgar

Edgar

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Im not blaming dempster but look at this.

-he said that would be open to coming back next year.

I mean if i was him i would want to go to Atlanta. Its a lot closer not only to Chicago but Canada than what LA is.

I understand he wants to win a ring andaye winning would convinc him to stay who LA but isn't the point of him being traded for him to come back

#5 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Im not blaming dempster but look at this.

-he said that would be open to coming back next year.

I mean if i was him i would want to go to Atlanta. Its a lot closer not only to Chicago but Canada than what LA is.

I understand he wants to win a ring andaye winning would convinc him to stay who LA but isn't the point of him being traded for him to come back

Atlanta is not closer to Sechelt, British Columbia than LA...(west coast ~30 miles from Vancouver, where Demp is from). Eitherway, I'm not sure that's the hold up.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

The only place that's relatively close geographically (less than a day's travel) is Seattle and maybe Oakland/SF but the former is def not interested and the latter need a bat at the deadline in the worst way possible.

LA being "close" doesn't make sense, you still gotta take a plane to get up to Vancouver like you would from Atlanta

#7 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:31 AM

-I am a bit tired of much of the Dempster love out there...he was the one who said he would like to help out the Cubs and he put the Braves at number 2 on his list...I am usually pro-player vs. management but the Cubs have been great to Dempster

The cubs have only been great to Dempster because he's been great to the cubs. It's not like they gave him a huge deal right off the bat, no. They took him on a league minimum flyer and he worked out well so they gave him a contract because he earned it. He's given th cubs 17.5 WAR for $55 million, that's about 3 million per win which is a great bargain. Consider Kerry Wood. Now, regardless of if he accepts the Braves trade, he is going to bring back even more value for the cubs. Why? because he's pitched out of his mind at age 35. Dempster has done nothing to deserve to be booed except pitch 98 innings of 2.11 ERA baseball and if he's booed during this amazing season hes having, I'd be ashamed to be a Cubs fan. Especially after everyone here complains when people boo Soriano, who has done very little for the cubs.

#8 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

This whole situation just SUCKS! (including the sucking in of deep breaths) We have been on the proverbial pins and needles for weeks now, and just when we thought there was finally and end to some of it...

As I posted on the main board, I am trying not to be down on Dempster. Sure he said he wanted to help the Cubs team and organization, and he said that he would accept a trade to a short list of teams. Sure he apparently reneged on some of it. However, as I (and many others) pointed out, he has to do what is in his family's best interest. It's a career move, after all. I know that *I* have never made a career move with the intent of helping my employer; it's always a career move that will help me and my family. So, if Dempster is deciding against Atlanta for his own reasons, he cannot - and should not - be blamed.

As much as I would love to see the deal completed with Atlanta, if it doesn't get done, it was not meant to be. Maybe, as Oswego Chris suggested, Delgado isn't destined for stardom; there must be some reason that the Braves are willing to part with him - more than just really wanting Dempster. I'm always a little leery of deals that seem too good to be true, though admittedly I was (and am) quite excited about a Dempster - Delgado trade that seems to fit the "too good to be true" model.

At this point, I can only hope that some deal is worked out - preferably very soon - that will benefit the Cubs and that the return on talent is commensurate with the level one would expect for a top-level pitcher (Dempster).

I had been looking forward to this trade deadline with great anticipation and expectation, but it has turned out to be grueling, rather than fun and exiting. I am ready for it just to be over.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

deep breath deep breath deep breath deep breath
/huff spraypaint
ahhhhhhh
Posted Image

Is that a photo of you after going to a "gentleman's club"?

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'd heard about this possibility a few weeks back, when listening to 670TheScore and at the time it made the hair stand on end. I hadn't heard it repeated until today, but it was very prominent in a discussion I heard just a few hours ago (again, the same source). What the heck am I talking about? The feasiblity of Dempster going to the White Sox.

After Dempster kiboshed the Atlanta deal, can you imagine how well he would be received at Wrigley if he were to actually be dressed in the dreaded black uni?! He would certainly not be in line to wear the Mr Popularity sash at the next Cubs Convention....

#11 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

IF Dempster does not get moved before the deadline, I suspect that the crowd is going to be pretty vocal - in the negative way - when he makes his appearance on the field. I am still not faulting him for what transpired, though I am still quite disappointed that the Cubs lost out on Delgado. But, I think things will be pretty ulgy in Wrigley, at least until Dempster pitches a good game. If he should throw poorly, I can't imagine the negativity that could arise.

On the other hand, I am hoping that the Cubs do not move Dempster just to move Dempster. I also am hoping that he is not moved just to please Dempster (a la trade to LA). The Cubs MUST get adequate value in return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).