#1 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

From Wikipedia:

Santo became the first player to invoke the ten-and-five rule under the collective bargaining agreement signed after the 1972 Major League Baseball strike (the rule allows players with 10 years' service, the last five with the same team, to decline any trade).[6] The Cubs had agreed upon a deal to send Santo to the California Angels; the ballclub would have received in return two young pitchers: Andy Hassler, who went on to have a middling career as a reliever/spot starter, and Bruce Heinbechner, a very highly-regarded left-handed pitching prospect. Santo didn't want to play on the West Coast and vetoed the deal.
The Cubs still wanted to trade Santo, and since his preference was to stay in Chicago, they worked out a deal with the White Sox, acquiring catcher Steve Swisher, and three young pitchers: Jim Kremmel, Ken Frailing, and one of Santo's future co-broadcasters, Steve Stone.[5] The White Sox already had a third baseman, Bill Melton, so Santo was relegated mostly to designated hitter duty, which he hated. He wanted to play in the field, but White Sox manager Chuck Tanner wouldn't bench Melton (who had had a couple of 30 home run seasons for them), so he unsuccessfully tried Santo at second base. Finishing 1974 with a .221 batting average and 5 home runs, Santo retired from baseball at the age of 34.[4]

What a selfish bastard Santo was. I mean come on we could have had so much better prospects if Santo didnt selfishly use his no trade rights the cubs would have been so much better. I denounce this guy as a cub forever.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Yeah! Three cheers for self-righteousness!

Obviously the two situations are completely identical. ::rolls eyes::

#3 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Obviously eye rolling and sarcasm completely dismisses my point

#4 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

Please stop putting these stupid posts on hear. Slamminsammy you annoy me

#5 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

God forbid someone disagrees with the majority of the people here that want Dempster to go to hell. If you dont like my posts, tell me why you disagree or just dont read it, I really don't care. I'm interested in a rational conversation rather than random shouts of "Screw Dempster!" that are all over the comments. Perhaps my posts are stupid, but your failure to point out anything specific and logical that is stupid about them speaks volumes as well.

#6 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Chill dudes. This was interesting and I guess the Santo trade worked out pretty well since we got Stoney. He was my favorite color guy the Cubs ever had and it's a shame that one LOOGY tried to fight him and now he's stuck with Hawk

#7 SlamminSammy

SlamminSammy

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Chill dudes. This was interesting and I guess the Santo trade worked out pretty well since we got Stoney. He was my favorite color guy the Cubs ever had and it's a shame that one LOOGY tried to fight him and now he's stuck with Hawk

Thats part of my point. Yes it is too bad the cubs missed out on the potentially better deal (well probably would have been better, but the stud prospect LA offered died in a car accident before making it to the bigs), but really a slghtly less favorable deal isnt the end of the world.

#8 J-Nasty

J-Nasty

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Facebook:jason.paronto
  • LocationWhite River Junction, Vt

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I hope in a couple weeks I don't have to hear anymore about 10/5 trade rules. It sucks that we probably missed out on Randall Delgado, but in a year or two nobody will even remember.

#9 Cheryl

Cheryl

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

No problem with player rejecting a trade here, but difference is he was honest about it

#10 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:57 AM

I just read that about Santo being the first player to invoke the 10/5 yesterday in an article talking about Dempster's invokation (is that a word?!). Quite interesting ... I guess I was too young to have realized that had happened back then.

We, especially those that are having a hard time dealing with the Dempster trade fiasco, just need to get over it and move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).