2 replies to this topic

#1 Petrowsky

Petrowsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Let me start out by saying that this whole trade situation has not caused me to alter my opinion of Dempster as a person or a player. However, I do feel like Dempster has been sort of foolish with this whole thing.

First of all, Dempster and Theo have been talking about a potential trade as early as mid June. Why is Dempster waiting until now to discuss things with his family? He gave the Cubs his preferences of where he would like to go weeks ago. He should have been talking with his family the last two weeks about the plus and minuses of Atlanta and LA. Secondly, Dempster was/is not going to be committed to Atlanta, or any other city, for more than a couple of months. I am not too sure how inconvienced his family would be during that time.

Also, why would Dempster's feelings be hurt in the world of baseball? It is a business and Dempster should know that better than any other player during his long career. I can't believe Dempster would act suprised that they came to a preliminary agreement with a team that was second on his list. Who cares if he was informed through a source other than the Cubs' front office. He knew this was coming and the Cubs tried to send him to his first choice but the offer was weak so they went to option #2.

Dempster should have seen all of this coming and now the Cubs are the ones who get punished because Dempster didn't prepare his family for this moment that was being speculated for over a month. The Cubs gave Dempster the chance to start which has changed his career which has put him into a position to make yet another big pay day. I know this is a new owner with all new personnel but he owes this franchise alot for the chance he received and I am suprised by the way he has handled everything.

I know it is his right to veto a trade, and I am sure that some will say I am being too harsh. I understand how some might feel that, but with every minute that Dempster waits to make a decision teams are filling their needs with other pieces. He said himself that he wanted to help this team with a trade, but nothing of the sort is happening from the decisions he has made. Yes, I know he said he needed to make the right decision for himself, but like I said earlier, he had plenty of time to think about this.

I hope the best for Dempster in his future. Whether that future is with the Cubs or not I will always respect him for the time he spent with the Cubs. He went from a great closer to a great starter. I am glad he could reinvent himself with the Cubs and find the talent he has always possessed. I just wish things could go right for the Cubs for a change. We finally have the guys who will make good trades and now they have been handcuffed by Dempster's lack of foresight.

#2 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

In a way, Dempster is acting like he did on the mound in game 1 of the playoffs vs LA. In both instances, when it was time to get it done and move on, he just couldn't.

#3 Petrowsky

Petrowsky

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

I am just suprised by the way this whole thing played out. Dempster can go wherever he wants at the end of the season. He is not obligated to stay in Atlanta and he has a chance to reach the playoffs there. The guy only has four years left in his baseball career. He should want the opportunity to reach the post season again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).