Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

Well I guess it is not Dempster free since I said his name in the title...and now, I said it again

Moving away from the negativity of the last three days...let's talk a Cubbie positive..

How high do you guys think Javiar Baez will be ranked going into next year? I think he may crack some overall top ten lists...

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

Where he ranks in the off-season all depends on where scouts project he will end up playing (3B or SS). He has recently been ranked at 25 and it was cited he would have been higher, but they thought he projected to end up at 3B where his glove would play well. I think his speed has really surprised many a scout this year so they may start to think more about him sticking at SS. Of course, he is also blocked by Castro.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Drew

Drew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:@Drew7
  • LocationUrbana, IL

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

How high do you guys think Javiar Baez will be ranked going into next year? I think he may crack some overall top ten lists...

If he continues to play the way he has all year, and stays in Peoria, I could see him in the top 25 overall.

Now, if he were to earn himself a promotion to Daytona for the last couple of weeks and still rakes, I'd say top 10-15 overall could be possible.

#4 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

There we go....good, thoughtful discussion...without some of the rancor on the main page...

Of course I don't mean The Rancor who lived below Jabba's palace...

#5 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:50 AM

Here's a response with less Dempster in it... (DOH! Just a habit to type that name whenever I'm making comments lately)

I was fortunate to see Baez play in person and I was nothing but impressed. Both his glove and his bat were dazzling. I fully expect a late season call-up to Daytona, and believe he will move up in the charts to around the #13 position on the prospects list. Personally, I suspect he will remain at SS and [eventually] will give Castro a run for his money, perhaps making Castro change positions? Should be interesting!

#6 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

Here's a response with less Dempster in it... (DOH! Just a habit to type that name whenever I'm making comments lately)

I was fortunate to see Baez play in person and I was nothing but impressed. Both his glove and his bat were dazzling. I fully expect a late season call-up to Daytona, and believe he will move up in the charts to around the #13 position on the prospects list. Personally, I suspect he will remain at SS and [eventually] will give Castro a run for his money, perhaps making Castro change positions? Should be interesting!

Blasphemy. I suggested the same thought on the main board a while back. I suggested moving Castro to third with Baez playing at short. Had my head handed to me on a stick. Almost stopped posting to the main board altogether.
People get some things in their heads and resist change.

After seeing Baez play I would have to rate him the #1 prospect in the Cub system and within top 15 in Mibl.

#7 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

I saw him a week ago when he was here in Grand Rapids to play the Whitecaps, he is a giant among the other players and his ABs and defense were solid. I have no idea how to evaluate talent but he did look like one of the best players on the Chiefs. So I think him being top ten unless the Cubs get some major talent from trades.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#8 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Blasphemy. I suggested the same thought on the main board a while back. I suggested moving Castro to third with Baez playing at short. Had my head handed to me on a stick. Almost stopped posting to the main board altogether.
People get some things in their heads and resist change.

After seeing Baez play I would have to rate him the #1 prospect in the Cub system and within top 15 in Mibl.

I think Baez is build better for 3B and looks like he has more power potential than Castro, but I'm fine with whatever the better minds in the FO think. I do not like the idea of moving Castro just because Baez MIGHT be a pro one day. Castro is just now reaching the service time many players reach in the minors before getting the call, so let him stay until you are certain that Baez is coming up.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I've seen him play a lot of games and his talent just leaps out at you. From the moment you see his swing, you know he's a special player. His confidence also is quite apparent. Here is a guy who believes (at least right now) that he is the best player in the park. In the games I've seen - he has been too.

I think his value is moving up the charts now - not only because of this amazing bat, but because he is proving that he can stick at SS (or at least middle infield). Whether that's where the Cubs ultimately utilize him or not is up for debate. I think some of that depends on Josh Vitters. If Vitters proves he can stick at third, and keeps on improving - then maybe Baez plays 2nd or maybe Castro does and Baez goes to SS - eventually. The point is, he is proving that he has the skills to stay at SS if that will benefit the Cubs.

But this kid is a fine athlete and I think he can play wherever he puts his mind to. Two things to beware of though:
1) strikeouts without walks could prove to be a problem. He doesn't have a patient approach.
2) his speed is good - not great by any stretch. I wouldn't get too excited by his stolen bases, though it is nice to see.

At this point, I would expect a low 20 or high teen national rating at season's end.

#10 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

I do not like the idea of moving Castro just because Baez MIGHT be a pro one day. Castro is just now reaching the service time many players reach in the minors before getting the call, so let him stay until you are certain that Baez is coming up.

Totally agree! Castro is our SS until there is an option that is CLEARLY better. Once it is inevitable that a promotion of Baez to SS is forthcoming, THEN start working Castro at another position. I don't have any idea how Castro might adapt to a new position, though. Perhaps even if Baez turns out to be a better SS than Castro, a 3B Baez / SS Castro might be a better combination than a 3B Castro / SS Baez. Either way, it would be awesome if Baez pans out that well and joins Castro in the infield.

Now, if 2B could be shored up a little....

#11 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

I would also agree that it would be ridiculous to move Castro NOW. Is anyone actually suggesting that?

#12 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I would also agree that it would be ridiculous to move Castro NOW. Is anyone actually suggesting that?

Don't see Baez being MLB ready till the late 2015 to spring 16 season. Castro will only be 26? I would also like to see him hit the weights and gain another 20 lbs. of muscle. With added weight I project Castro to to produce enough power to do 20 to 22 HR power + -. I also expect him to loose range along with weight gain. Have to agree with goat and Blue it really does not matter where Baez is played. He just needs to get on the field.

#13 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I like this discussion (props to Oswego Chris for kicking it off). Do we see Baez leap frog'n some of the current prospects at those positions (e.g., Vitters, Lake) at least in expected time of arrival? Or will those guys be merely keeping things warm until Baez breaks with the team? Some have him projected to be ready as early as 2014.

Realistic? Sounds like those of you who have seen him seem to think so. I wouldn't mind that.

#14 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

It is all but impossible that Baez will be a better shortstop than Castro. He doesn't have Castro's range right now, and players rarely add range as they get older. Baez could be a solid defensive shortstop, but Castro could be one of the best defensive shortstops to ever play for the Cubs.

But there is no reason Baez can't be a near Gold Glove defender at third. His bat will be fine anywhere. For now, I still list his ETA as mid to late 2014 (at best).

#15 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

It's my understanding that it takes a different skillset to thrive at third base instead of SS. You play further back on the field as SS but you have to cover more ground, ergo range is important. With a third base, it's all reflexes since you have less time to react to the ball. Though, if Baez can hit, I'm sure they'll find a spot for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).