Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

Cardinals v. Cubs - July 27, 2012 (TV: CSN)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#106 cubmig

cubmig

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

Not saying I agree with Sveum but some body has to do the shit work. Today it was Wood with 85 pitches.

The problem is that T Wood did the "shit work" alright, but it was ON the Cubs. I don't have the kind of appreciation that says "protect the pen" as I'd say managers do. My thinking is more simplistic, like Win the F'fen game. Worry about the pen arms another day.

#107 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Funniest (or worst) part about his shelling (again) is that he was facing a "B" cardinals lineup. Two of their starters and best players are out today. And he still got sent into orbit.

Nice effort.

I'm not sure there's even such a thing as a "B Cardinals lineup" unfortunately.

True. "B" in relative terms. This wasn't the best they can throw out there. And they still tee off on pitchers.

#108 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

You guys are insane. Wood, after being a perfectly acceptable back-of-the-rotation starter for 2 1/2 months, has two crappy games in a row and you're all ready to feed him to the pigs. I can only assume that much of this is hangover vitriol from the Dempster saga.

#109 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

You guys are insane. Wood, after being a perfectly acceptable back-of-the-rotation starter for 2 1/2 months, has two crappy games in a row and you're all ready to feed him to the pigs. I can only assume that much of this is hangover vitriol from the Dempster saga.

I wouldn't say insane. Harsh, absolutely. But he has been pretty bad lately. I'd preach patience, because, we're probably stuck with Wood for a while (especially if the Cubs are able to move some of the top of the rotation guys like they'd like to).

#110 willis

willis

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Twitter:@deadboltwillie
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Last three starts...8 ER, 6 ER, 8 ER.

He was marginal when called up, torrid for a few starts, then has been completely awful for the last three. Add that to his not good 2011, his awful ST showing and his awful showing in AAA, I think it makes many fans not buy that few start stretch. Instead thinking him as garbage or at best a 5+ ERA #5 fill in.

I don't like him as a starter. Never have. With Reds or with the Cubs. JMO. I pull for him, sure, and he was really good for awhile, but now he's fallen into down right crap. Maybe he'll recover? Let's hope so.

#111 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

I wouldn't say insane. Harsh, absolutely. But he has been pretty bad lately. I'd preach patience, because, we're probably stuck with Wood for a while (especially if the Cubs are able to move some of the top of the rotation guys like they'd like to).

Well, "divorced from the facts", then. With the exception of one start in May, and his last two appearances, he's given up 3 or fewer runs and pitched through the fifth. That's 9 quality starts out of 12. I'm not really sure what people are looking for in a back-end starter other than that.

#112 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

I mean, the dude is far from a "great" pitcher. But what #5 is?

#113 soundCARDen

soundCARDen

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Twitter:Pile_of_DERP
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well, "divorced from the facts", then. With the exception of one start in May, and his last two appearances, he's given up 3 or fewer runs and pitched through the fifth. That's 9 quality starts out of 12. I'm not really sure what people are looking for in a back-end starter other than that.

My sentiments exactly. Sometimes memory is only as long as the last start / appearance or 2. Hard to forget for 6 weeks he was one of the best starters in the NL.

#114 cubmig

cubmig

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Guilty as charged. I want T Wood gone. No Dempster stuff needed to prop up my stance.

#115 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Last three starts...8 ER, 6 ER, 8 ER.

Seven (!) starts before that:

1 ER, 3 ER, 3 ER, 1 ER, 0 ER, 0 ER, 2 ER

That's more than twice as many good starts as bad.

#116 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Btw, since that game-tying single by Soto in the third?

Cubs are 0/11

#117 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Sczur now a Smokie.

#118 Picklenose

Picklenose

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Twitter:@Picklenose1

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Of the 581 players who have pitched in the major leagues this year, 404 have a better era than Travis Wood. I am always rooting for any player in Cubs uni, but Wood is either pretty good, or very, very bad. He needs some help if he is ever going to be a reliable major league pitcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).