10 replies to this topic

#1 Hector Villanueva

Hector Villanueva

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

" Bronze Medal: Chicago Cubs They had it all figured out, mapped out, plotted out. Unfortunately, they're still the Cubs. You won't find two brighter, more prepared people running anyone's baseball teams than Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer. Unfortunately, they're running the Cubs. And so, from the cosmic forces that have brought you more than a century's worth of consecutive ticker tape-free seasons, along came the 2012 trading deadline to reel insanely out of control in the most Cub-like manner possible. The Plan was to trade off Ryan Dempster early, clear the landscape to trade Matt Garza next, and, if all went well, find landing spots for Alfonso Soriano and a bunch of other extraneous parts, too. Well, The Plan was rolling along just the way it was supposed to -- for about 30 seconds. Then kaboom. Dempster turned down what looked like a tremendous deal to a team (Atlanta) he'd originally said he'd like to go to. Then Garza got hurt and, ultimately, made himself untradeable. The Dempster negotiations with the Dodgers eventually went from stalled to paralyzed. And the Cubs came within about 10 minutes of getting neither of them traded. So, in the end, the Cubs found a way to make at least a few deals: Maholm, Reed Johnson, Geovany Soto and the last-minute swap of Dempster to Texas. But what was supposed to be a perfect opportunity to assemble pieces for a brighter tomorrow yielded just one potential star-caliber prospect (former Braves right-hander Arodys Vizcaino) -- and even he just had Tommy John surgery. And how did it come to that? Not because of human blunders. Just, seemingly, because of Cubs-esque forces beyond anyone's control. "I've been in the game a long time," one veteran exec said. "And sometimes, even I can't believe the things that happen to the Cubs." So well said, we should inscribe it on their bronze medal. Nipped at the Tape: Astros, Orioles and Diamondbacks.

#2 happy gilmore

happy gilmore

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

we really do have bad luck,but i am still impressed with theo and company to get anything for demp. I thought he was for sure bound for the dodgers. I am glad they kept garza. I do not think we should settle for a decent package. If we trade him we need to get maximum value, so I am happy that we will wait until the offseason.

#3 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8220697

Let's be clear, at ESPN Stark lists the Cubs as the Bronze Medal Losers (Phillies take the Gold in this category according to Stark).

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

Anybody predicting winners and losers at this point in time is incredibly short-sighted.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.csnchicag...245&feedID=7139

#6 BlueHorizons

BlueHorizons

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationMishawaka, Indiana

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

It's hard to tell at this point as it may take years to determine how prospects pan out, but I think the Cubs FO was able to make the most out of what was turning into a real ugly situation. Vizcaino might turn out to be better than Delgado. I was also happy that Dempster didn't get his Californication wish.

#7 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8220697

Let's be clear, at ESPN Stark lists the Cubs as the Bronze Medal Losers (Phillies take the Gold in this category according to Stark).

All of his "winners" are buyers, and all of his "losers" were sellers. Is his point that if you trade away ML talent for prospects, then you're automatically the loser in a trade?

#8 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

http://www.fangraphs...ers-and-losers/

I think this one's a bit better.

#9 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

jaye chapman was the top international talent of 2007.

#10 #1lahairfan

#1lahairfan

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Anyone know why Kyle Hendricks was scratched from his last start? People are saying he needs tommy john.

#11 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

These are going to be fun threads to dig up in two years when we are closing in on the playoffs again.

And as for my own personal "losers" (They lost me, afterall) the Boston Red Sox were a) unable to figure out if they were buyers or sellers b) unable to unload one iota of dead weight on their aged, bloated roster (so they are largely same hunk of junk they were during last year's September swoon) c) only provided trade deadline drama/humor when Sweeny broke his own hand by punching a wall in the Boston dugout at the same time Reed Johnson was shaking teammate's hand goodbye in the visitors dugout in Pittsburg.

Brett's comments on the main board ("trading two months of Dempster") helps take the sting out of (or at least put perspective on) what feels currently like a dissapointment.

I am going to have some fun wrapping my head around all of Theo's Cubs moves. The fun is just going to come a lot easier when I feel we are getting back in the Major League hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).