fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm guessing better than what I feel about the Lions defense and Titus Young (seriously fuck that guy)

#17 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I'm curious as to what Bears fans think about Cutler?

I think he's the best QB the Bears have ever had. He struggles at times, but in fairness, his O line is horrendous (let's be honest), and if he wasn't so elusive in the pocket, he'd be dead by now. I wish he were more personable, but frankly, if we got rid of him, who are we going to get that will be better? He can look terrible at times, but what QB doesn't? Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Tom Brady - they've all had some pretty horrendous games themselves, and most of them have MUCH better O lines than Jay has ever had.

If you want to blame someone for the Bear's troubles, I'd blame Mike Tice. Bears O-line was pretty much the worst in football the entire time he was our O-line coordinator. Now he's our Offensive coordinator and we're almost the worst offense in football (and that's with a crapload of talent). Last year under Martz, same O-line, less talent at WR and RB, we were considerably better (while Cutler was playing). Everything Tice touches has been crap.

Bring on Bill Cowher and then let's see how Jay Cutler fares.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#18 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

It's a shame that Lovie Smith got fired today. I thought he should have been given one more season.

The Bears obviously need to revamp their offensive line. They will also need to obtain a new offensive coordinator.

I think a problem going forward, a problem that gets excused due to the Bears' horrible offensive line, is Jay Cutler.

Cutler is a turnover machine; a poor leader; and slow to read defenses.

Because the Bears have never had a franchise QB, Bears fans have fallen in love with Cutler. The love is based deeply in comparative. Cutler is overrated by Bears fans, because we've had to endure Kordel Stewart, Jim Miller, Shane Matthews, Jonathan Quinn, Rex Grossman, Craig Krenzel and many more champions of mediocrity, in recent years. Just because Cutler is better than mediocre, doesn't mean that he's any good. He ranks as a bottom third, starting QB, in the NFL.

This should be an interesting off-season.

#19 MC2

MC2

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook:Mark Comparet
  • LocationFort Wayne, In.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Re3ad the comments from the players "Lovie was a nice guy", you have to be more than a nice guy this day and age. Lovie swore he understood the rivalry with the Packers when he took the job and make it a priority to beat them look at his record against the pack the last 5 alone. You have to win big games in your division. Lovie should have been replaced last year along with Martz, replacing Martz with Tice was a mistake. For all the talent on the offensive side they were pathetic. Cutler is a good QB and will eventually take the Bears to another Super Bowl Victory. The Devin Hester experiment at wide receiver needs to end, grab another WR for the slot in the mode of Wes Welker. Get a real Tight End, giving away Olson to the Panthers was a huge mistake. You can't have any rhythm on the O-line when it always changes... ...

#20 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Never understood why Hester wasn't used in the slot or out of the backfield more.

I have doubts about Cutler, but there aren't all that many QB's that I'd rather have, and there certainly aren't any better options available in the draft or free agency this year. I have full confidence that Cutler can be a pro-bowl QB. I think if they add to the line (Jake Long or Ryan Clady would be a good start), add a capable tight end (K.Davis is another huge sorespot for me in regards to Lovie), and continue to add youth on defense, then the team will be ready to contend for a title next year and be in a decent position moving forward, despite the aging defense.

#21 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

"He ranks as a bottom third, starting QB, in the NFL"

Even with one of the worst lines in NFL history for the last two years, he's doesn't rank in the bottome third of NFL starters.

#22 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

"He ranks as a bottom third, starting QB, in the NFL"

Even with one of the worst lines in NFL history for the last two years, he's doesn't rank in the bottome third of NFL starters.

Amen to that, brother. Give that guy a decent line and an O coordinator worth his weight, and he can put up huge numbers. He's done it in the past.

Peyton Manning just set the single season record for passing yards for a Denver Broncos QB this year, and do you know whose record he broke? John Elway? Wrong. It was Jay Cutler.

#23 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

NFL QBs who are clearly better than Cutler

In no particular order:

Tony Romo
Eli Manning
Robert Griffin
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Philip Rivers
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Drew Brees
Andrew Luck
Matt Schaub
Andy Dalton

The next tier of QBs

In no particular order:

Josh Freeman
Cam Newton
Matthew Stafford
Russell Wilson
Alex Smith
Jay Cutler

QBs with the worst offensive lines in the NFL:

1) Aaron Rodgers(sacked 51 times)
2) Philip Rivers(sacked 49 times)
3) Andy Dalton(sacked 46 times)
4) Andrew Luck(sacked 41 times)
5) Jay Cutler(sacked 38 times)
6) Tony Romo(sacked 36 times)
7) Cam Newton(sacked 36 times)
8) Joe Flacco(sacked 36 times)

Cutler had the worst season amongst them all!

Jay Cutler's NFL rankings:

Completion %(20th)
Passing Yards(24th)
Passing TDs(21st)
Interceptions(12th)

#24 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

"NFL QBs who are clearly better than Cutler

In no particular order:

Tony Romo
"

Hah!!!

Besides you said bottom third, which would mean he's ranked lower than 20th, which is right where you have him listed.

#25 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

"NFL QBs who are clearly better than Cutler

In no particular order:

Tony Romo
"

Hah!!!

Besides you said bottom third, which would mean he's ranked lower than 20th, which is right where you have him listed.

By all accounts, Tony Romo is better QB than Jay Cutler.

Tony Romo

2006: 65.3 CMP% 2903 YDS 19 TD/13 INT 95.1 RAT
2007: 64.4 CMP% 4211 YDS 36 TD/19 INT 97.4 RAT
2008: 61.3 CMP% 3448 YDS 26 TD/14 INT 91.4 RAT
2009: 63.1 CMP% 4483 YDS 26 TD/9 INT 97.6 RAT
2010: 69.5 CMP% 1605 YDS 11 TD/7 INT 94.9 RAT
2011: 66.3 CMP% 4184 YDS 31 TD/10 INT 102.5 RAT
2012: 65.6 CMP% 4903 YDS 28 TD/19 INT 90.5 RAT

Career: 64.7 CMP% 25737 YDS 177 TD/91 INT 95.6 RAT

Romo played behind some awful offensive lines.

Jay Cutler

2006: 59.1 CMP% 1001 YDS 9 TD/5 INT 88.5 RAT
2007: 63.6 CMP% 3497 YDS 20 TD/14 INT 88.1 RAT
2008: 62.3 CMP% 4526 YDS 25 TD/18 INT 86.0 RAT
2009: 60.5 CMP% 3666 YDS 27 TD/26 INT 76.8 RAT
2010: 60.4 CMP% 3274 YDS 23 TD/16 INT 86.3 RAT
2011: 58.0 CMP% 2319 YDS 13 TD/7 INT 85.7 RAT
2012: 58.8 CMP% 3033 YDS 19 TD/14 INT 81.3 RAT

Career: 60.8 CMP% 21316 YDS 136 TD/100 INT 84.0 RAT

In breaking down the entire league, Cutler, without question, ranks in the bottom half of starting QBs.

#26 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

In breaking down the entire league, Cutler, without question, ranks in the bottom half of starting QBs.

Bottom half? I thought it was the bottom third? Just messing with you Mork. Even after seeing the stats, I'd still take Cutler over Romo every time.

#27 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Bottom half? I thought it was the bottom third? Just messing with you Mork. Even after seeing the stats, I'd still take Cutler over Romo every time.

You can take him. However, Romo is the better QB.

Cutler is on the fringe of being ranked at the bottom third. For arguments sake, I'll give you the bottom half.

The fact remains; Jar Cutler is a below-average, starting QB, in the NFL.

#28 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I don't think you can take different players on different teams, show stats, and then claim that one player is better than the other based solely on those stats. The players, schemes, and coaches surrounding these players have just as much to do with their performance as anything else and the Bears, in general, have not been very good in any of those aspects.

I don't think there are many 'football experts', coaches, or GM's in the league that would agree that Jay Cutler is in the bottom third of the league, but hey, it's a subjective matter anyway, so you're entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.

#29 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I think an improved offensive line and an offensive scheme better suited to the personnel, and hopefully some consistency in the system, will change a lot of minds on Jay Cutler. I'm all for bringing in McCoy from Denver, and possibly keeping Bates on as either QB coach or OC. If the FO improves the line and adds a decent tight end, and Cutler doesn't have a great year, it will be interesting to see how Emery approaches Cutler's contract extension, if at all. (and if the line improves, but Cutler doesn't, I'll probably change my opinion of him)

#30 Morken

Morken

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I don't think you can take different players on different teams, show stats, and then claim that one player is better than the other based solely on those stats. The players, schemes, and coaches surrounding these players have just as much to do with their performance as anything else and the Bears, in general, have not been very good in any of those aspects.

I don't think there are many 'football experts', coaches, or GM's in the league that would agree that Jay Cutler is in the bottom third of the league, but hey, it's a subjective matter anyway, so you're entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.

Outside of the Bears' fan base, Jay Cutler is not highly regarded.

Most pundits are of the opinion that Jay Cutler has a great arm, but lacks accuracy; holds on to the ball for way too long, resulting in far too many of his sacks, and is also related to his inability to read defenses; and is a terrible leader.

No matter how big your crush on Cutler is, it's still easy to identify at least 17 starting QBs in the NFL who are better than him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).