Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

Yes, I hope I don't lose my Cub fan cred. becasue I am making a White Sox post on this site, but I had to comment on this.

Anyone baffled by this move, it's pretty simple. There is a Reinsdorfian pattern behind this that drove me away from the Bulls. The reason the Sox didn't hire Davey Martinez, or Alomar or one of these guys is easy: Other people might have wanted them.

With the exception of Thibbideau(who he had to hire after the trainwreck that was Vinny DelNegro)...the Bulls and Sox hire guys who "owe Jerry their jobs". Sometimes it works, but then when they get too big(see Phil Jackson) they are jettisoned.

God I hope Ryno gets a job.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

It's pretty shocking, but I'm not sure I agree with everyone who's freaking out that it's "a disaster," and "terrible move," etc.

As Mike Quade proved, having a long coaching track record doesn't mean jack. Ventura was in the bigs for 12 seasons, so he surely knows what goes on. I'm not saying he'll be a success, but if he fails, I doubt it will be because he doesn't have a bunch of years of coaching experience.

#3 Rooster

Rooster

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Hire Frank Thomas as the hitting coach!!

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Hire Frank Thomas as the hitting coach!!

Welcome aboad, your name makes me think of David Sedaris and his brother who he calls "The Rooster" http://www.youcantkilltherooster.com/

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 louslew

louslew

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:n/a
  • Facebook:n/a

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:48 AM

Hey Brett, I have been a Cub fan for a long, long, long time. I'm also new here. I remember players such as, Bill Serena, Roy Smalley, Dee Fondy,andy Pafko, Hal Jeffcoat etc, etc. I even remember Phil Caveratta as player manager and at one time I thought that Quade was a good hire. I guess that shows you how much I have learned during these oh so many Cub years. I saw Quade make some managerical moves that I would have rather had Darwin Barney with his many years in the majors make. What the hay are we waiting for?

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Pointless trivia...

In waht movie does a character referrence the trade of Dee Fondy for Ted Kluseuski(sp)..."Big Klu..traded for Dee Fondy in 1956...1956.."

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Hey Brett, I have been a Cub fan for a long, long, long time. I'm also new here. I remember players such as, Bill Serena, Roy Smalley, Dee Fondy,andy Pafko, Hal Jeffcoat etc, etc. I even remember Phil Caveratta as player manager and at one time I thought that Quade was a good hire. I guess that shows you how much I have learned during these oh so many Cub years. I saw Quade make some managerical moves that I would have rather had Darwin Barney with his many years in the majors make. What the hay are we waiting for?

Welcome, louslew. Quade will be gone in time, but Ricketts is wisely letting the next GM do it. No need to step on the new guy's toes.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Pointless trivia...

In waht movie does a character referrence the trade of Dee Fondy for Ted Kluseuski(sp)..."Big Klu..traded for Dee Fondy in 1956...1956.."

No idea.

#9 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Pointless trivia...

Rainman... thanks internet

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).