• Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Following up on my front page comment.

Today's EBS:

Posted Image

Last week's (pre-new computer) EBS:

Posted Image

I think the newer ones are a bit messier overall, but I'm sure I'll eventually forget all about the change. Just as I've mostly forgotten that the EBSes used to be red!

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for that, TWC. That's exactly what I needed to see (I did a side by side on my old and new computer, but both are Macs using Chrome, and I couldn't tell a huge difference).

Now I just need to figure out if there's any way I can get it back to being as crisp. I guess it could also be that I'm now using a different version of GIMP. I have some ideas. We'll see how the next few look ...

#3 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for that, TWC. That's exactly what I needed to see (I did a side by side on my old and new computer, but both are Macs using Chrome, and I couldn't tell a huge difference).

Now I just need to figure out if there's any way I can get it back to being as crisp. I guess it could also be that I'm now using a different version of GIMP. I have some ideas. We'll see how the next few look ...

Pixelmator is on sale for $14.99 at the Mac App Store right now and it KILLS Gimp, and doesn't need that tedious X11 to run.

#4 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Have you tried pixlr? It lives entirely in the cloud and is free.

http://pixlr.com/

According to Internet legend, Adobe decided to not to pay some summer interns who worked on the newer, updated versions of Photoshop after initially saying they would, and the interns retaliated by launching a free online version of the very product Adobe had had them working on. Like most internet legends, I'm sure that one is mostly false, but the fact remains that pixlr is a darn good Photoshop substitute.

#5 BG2383

BG2383

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

The comparison of the two reminds me of that eye doctor "Does 1 or 2 look clearer" thing......The first one has larger but slightly less clear font for me and the 2nd is clearer but on my mac air it takes more effort to read the words....that could just be me and my fatigue at the moment though (slept horribly) hope that helps and I hope what I said made a slight bit of sense.....I suppose the eye doctor reference didn't make any sense to some

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

Pixelmator is on sale for $14.99 at the Mac App Store right now and it KILLS Gimp, and doesn't need that tedious X11 to run.

I'm a total noob with this stuff (been using GIMP, and GIMP only, for five years). What is the difference between the two for the kind of stuff I do - EBS, silly photoshops, slightly tougher things like making the banner and t-shirt logos.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

I've used them both, and I think Pixelmator is just a much more pleasant experience. Gimp for Mac is awkward, with a grossly ugly UI and bass-ackwards controls. While they both do the same thing (essentially, they and Photoshop are identical in most regards), I find its usability and UI easily worth the $15.

That being said, I'll probably screw around with Luke's suggestion of Pixlr over the next couple of days just for grins. I'm skeptical though that a web-based graphics editor can keep up with the demands of the work that I do.

#8 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Pixlr is surprisingly polished for a web app, but I don't think he can stand up to a daily, professional work load.

I think it might fit Brett's purposes, though. And it is free, so there is no downside to trying it before shelling out for something else.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Bah! Pixlr is owned by Autodesk?! Can I get no reprieve from them?

I checked it out for a few... seems fine and all, but I'd much prefer to use a desktop version. I'll stick with Pixelmator. And Autodesk?! Ghastly.

#10 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

If you can, don't talk about it too loudly. Autodesk might hear and buy them too.

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

If you can, don't talk about it too loudly. Autodesk might hear and buy them too.

Hello, my name is Cubbie Blues. I am a recovering user of Autodesk. It is a very bad drug. They pull you in and make it very difficult to get out. I started using in 1993. In my recovery, Dassault Systemes has been there to show me the error of my ways. They helped me put Autodesk far far far back in the rear view mirror. I have been clean for two years now. With much strength and hard work I will forever be rid of their nasty filth.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).