#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

The Angels offense features Albert Pujols, Mike Trout, Mark Trumbo, Kendry Morales, and Tori Hunter. Their rotation starts off with Weaver-Greinke-Haren-Wilson. So why are they a fringe contender, battling the likes of the A's and Orioles for the 2nd Wild Card? The answer: their bullpen is killing them. Aside from uber-bad-ass closer Ernest Frieri, the rest havn't been much better than our bullpen.

When you have the type of team they have, and you don't make the playoffs, that's when offices start being cleared out, no matter how respected tose who keep their stuff in them may be.

They could really use one more back end guy, and maybe a middle reliever to boot. They should be very interested in Marmol. He's looked like his old self the past month or so, and he's contracted through 2013, and I'd happily eat that salary for the right return. We could also try and slip Sean Camp through waivers, and send him their way.

#2 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

I like it. What would be the return?

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

A few million in salary relief, and a B prospect, at best.

#4 TonyP

TonyP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSE Kansas

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Assuming Marmal was a FA at the end of this year, what kind of contract would he expect to get on the open market?

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Assuming Marmal was a FA at the end of this year, what kind of contract would he expect to get on the open market?

I don't have either answer answer for you, but for clarification, do you mean how much does he expect or how much he will probably get? The two might be miles apart.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 chicubs13

chicubs13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@Corey_Holthaus
  • LocationSouthern Illinois

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Also, keep in mind: If Marmol returns to his dominant form (as we are starting to see a possible glimpse of), the Angels could possibly offer him arbitration and get a draft pick. I know it's highly unlikely, but I think it should definitely be brought up in any possible trade talks in order to enhance the return.

#7 TonyP

TonyP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSE Kansas

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't have either answer answer for you, but for clarification, do you mean how much does he expect or how much he will probably get? The two might be miles apart.

What kind of contract would he be able to sign. What he wants or expects is irrelevant.

#8 Carew

Carew

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

shoot man, I'll take that haha. I like Marmol, especially when he's got the slider workin, but I believe his time has run out in Chicago

#9 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Also, keep in mind: If Marmol returns to his dominant form (as we are starting to see a possible glimpse of), the Angels could possibly offer him arbitration and get a draft pick. I know it's highly unlikely, but I think it should definitely be brought up in any possible trade talks in order to enhance the return.

they did away with that with the new CBA

#10 chicubs13

chicubs13

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@Corey_Holthaus
  • LocationSouthern Illinois

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

they did away with that with the new CBA

Yes, and no. They can still offer him the MLB avg of contracts, or whatever it is. That's ~12.5 million this year, and likely higher next year, hence why I say it's a long shot. But no reason not to bring it up in talks.

#11 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

They key to Epstein's trade plans was to that he'd forgo salary relief in exchange for a better player return. This is why the Braves were willing to fork over Delgado for a few months of Dempster. Marmol isnt just a rental. He stands to make 9.5 mil in 2013, which sounds like a lot, and it is, but if the Cubs do move Marmol they'll likely pick up most or all of that in exchnge for a better player return, in which case I wouldn't be surprised if a team desperate enough for back end bullpen help would fork over something from the back end of their Top 10-15 as well as a lottery ticket.

#12 Cubs/Hawks

Cubs/Hawks

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

I propose this trade for CUBS

with Tigers

#1 Cubs send Soriano/Cash to Tigers for Delmon Young, Young makes $7mm this year and is free agent after this year where Cubs say BYE BYE, Soriano is the DH for Tigers

#13 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

I think they'd rather eat cash and get a couple fringe prospects than a shithead like Young for a couple months

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).