#1 DaneHuseman

DaneHuseman

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:dhuseman

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

So I know that Brett has talked about the process of placing a player on waivers and how teams claim that player or they clear waivers and are eligible to be traded to any team, but that still leaves me with a few questions..

Let's say the Cubs agree to trade Alfonso Soriano to the Cardinals for Shelby Miller (I realize this isn't realistic, but just play along). Does Shelby Miller then have to clear waivers to be sent to the Cubs? Because this would never happen. He would be claimed immediately, right? It doesn't have to just be a Minor Leaguer; what about someone like Cody Ross? Does he go through waivers to be used to complete a trade? This seems like it would make ANY trade virtually impossible if both players being exchanged had to make it past every team. What is the process for the player being returned to the Cubs?

If this player is sent to the Cubs without any waiver process, then couldn't the Cubs still trade any player on their roster by just having them be the player exchanged for someone who went through waivers? The Cubs would have to be one of the teams with first dibs at most players by having a poor record, so they could presumable land just about anyone they are seeking through trade.

Am I missing something? It seems like this is an easy solution to the trade/waiver claim dilemma..

#2 Crockett

Crockett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Any major league level players must pass through waivers after July 31st to be traded.

Minor league players do not need to pass through waivers.

So, major league player for major league player after July 31st is VERY rare...I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of any instance off the top of my head.

MLB player for prospect is pretty much the only way.

Did this answer your Q?

#3 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

There is always the player to be named later.
With the short season left the trade can be completed in the off season.

#4 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

Any major league level players must pass through waivers after July 31st to be traded.

Minor league players do not need to pass through waivers.

So, major league player for major league player after July 31st is VERY rare...I'm sure it's happened, but I can't think of any instance off the top of my head.

MLB player for prospect is pretty much the only way.

Did this answer your Q?

I could be wrong, but I thought that any player on the 40 man roster, whether they're in the majors or minors, has to be put through waivers for a trade at this point in the season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).