#1 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

I went to the batting cages for the first time in about 15 years (which is saying something since I'm 28), and I feel the need to share my experience. I decided this is the best place for it.

For a little background. The last organized baseball I played in and got a hit in was parent pitch. My one year in little league my BA was 0.000 but my OBP was like 0.700 (the one advantage to being short for your age is having a small strike zone, and I knew when not to swing). A few years ago I got into a few slow pitch softball league both co-ed and men's leagues (first consistent hitting I've done since parent pitch) and felt like I did fairly decent. Had a few doubles and triples, and I'm fast enough to beat out 80% of infield grounders (most nights I went 2-3 or 3-4).

So I'm at the batting cages with my wife and father-in-law last night. We start off at the slow pitch soft ball machine and I'm making good contact on most of the pitches (doing better than the wife). So I decide to try the 40 mph baseball cage thinking that is not to fast and I should be able to hit no problem. I missed just about every pitch. When my wife got in there she hit about 60% of them and showed me up (she played badminton in high school so she is used to swinging at fast moving objects). I figure slow pitch softball has got me into some bad habits and I created a long looping swing (I could bunt the ball no problem so I don't think hand eye coordination is a problem) Any suggestions on how to shorten swing or anyone else who feels like sharing their latest batting cage experience or feels like making fun of me because my wife apparently better at hitting a baseball than I am feel free to respond.

#2 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

just shoot yourself now a wife who knows she is better than you at sports can't be the makings of a positive life for you. good luck

#3 CubChymyst

CubChymyst

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationManhattan, Kansas

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

just shoot yourself now a wife who knows she is better than you at sports can't be the makings of a positive life for you. good luck

I wanted a wife that was athletic and good at sports. Makes it easier to justify joining local sports teams and traveling to see games because we are both interested in going instead of just me. Although, I don't think I'll hear the end of the batting cages for a while.

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'll chime in with a little self-defecation. I joined a softball team recently. To start out, I haven't played in about 15 years. Our season is about to start and we decided to have a couple of practices. I showed up for our second practice late and the last player was taking his at bat hitting balls. They told me I was next. A couple of hits later it was my turn. Being stone cold I walked up there and the second swing I pulled an oblique muscle. In my heart I still think I am a young buck but my body is telling me different. Being surrounded by early 20 somethings, I didn't want to show that I hurt myself by just swinging a bat two times. So, I continued to take my cuts. Needless to say, they weren't very effective. Luckily our double header last night was canceled due to a thunder storm (the first in a couple of months). I only hope that I didn't embarrass myself too much and I still get to play 3rd and not catcher or right field.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 scorecardpaul

scorecardpaul

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationRochester, Illinois

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

I, like you married an athlete (wife played basketball in college). She was the 5 (center) on her team. I used to joke about her as being good breeding stock. Many years later, I got no boys, and now have 2 amazon girls. They are pretty good at BBall and volleyball though, so I guess it worked out in the end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).