#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

With the hours until the waiver deadline winding down, another team searching for bullpen help is the Angels.

In a completely hypothetical situation, would anyone do this:

Send the Angels Carlos Marmol for Vernon Wells, and take on a portion of, about half of his remaining contract as well as Marmol's 2013 salary if they'd send us a few quality prospects as well, perhaps 1 top 10 and a low level/high ceiling guy. We's probably send them something fringy in the form of a Logan Watkins/Dae Eun Rhee/Nick Struck type as well just to even things out.

I'm not sure, but I'd think that the Angels could use some degree of salary relief, and this would get them that and fill a big need for them.

We'd be taking on some money, but getting 2 quality prospects as well as Vernon Wells, who could have a decent year or two in another change of scenery.

#2 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

No. I think it would completely undermine what they are trying to do with shedding payroll going forward. Wells is garbage, and has had a change of scenery already. It would really stink to have almost 40 million tied up in Soriano and Wells over the next 3 years, regardless of the prospects they would get for Marmol. I don't think the Angels would give up a top 10 prospect for Marmol, even if the Cubs eat both salaries.

#3 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Not a chance. It's too horrible a move for the Cubs.

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think it would be about as likely as signing Milton Bradley in the offseason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).