10 replies to this topic

#1 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

I wouldnt mind at all if we signed the Youk to a one or two year contract. It would give us great leadership, a solid defender at third who could play first if needed, high on base %, and clock 20+ hrs.

He would give the youngster someone to learn from, such as DeJesus has this year, and save the spot for Baez who should be ready in two years.

#2 Mr. P

Mr. P

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Twitter:@MikePresley31

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yeah definitely. If we can get him on a DeJesus type deal I'd be all for it.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,637 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Given the void at 3B, and the presumption that he wouldn't get more than a one or two year, not-super-expensive deal, I can see some merit, too. As long as it's the kind of deal the Cubs can move easily if something crazy happens like Josh Vitters turning a corner or Junior Lake blowing up.

I'm on board with re-signing Ian Stewart for a $1 million, too.

#4 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

If the front office decides they need to be more competitive to sell tickets, I suspect they'll keep Soriano, try hard to extend Garza, and sign several moderate-cost free agents like Youkilis and a couple of pitchers. Otherwise, they'll try to snag a high draft pick and large IFA budget again.

#5 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

As high as Theo was on getting Stewart, it would be foolish not to give the former mega prospect one more shot following the surgery. My money's on him as our 2013 3rd Baseman.

#6 rcleven

rcleven

Bleacher Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Given the void at 3B, and the presumption that he wouldn't get more than a one or two year, not-super-expensive deal, I can see some merit, too. As long as it's the kind of deal the Cubs can move easily if something crazy happens like Josh Vitters turning a corner or Junior Lake blowing up.

Getting Youkilis on the cheap just won't happen. Williams would have first choice to extend him this winter and I think they have been very happy with his production. Stewart coming back will be the FO first option.

#7 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Getting Youkilis on the cheap just won't happen. Williams would have first choice to extend him this winter and I think they have been very happy with his production. Stewart coming back will be the FO first option.

Keep in mind that the White Sox have a high payroll and low attendance. There's a 13 MM team option for 2013, and I can't see them picking that up nor extending him. Whatever happens with the 2012 White Sox, they should plan on shedding in the offseason.

IMHO he'd be a perfect fit for the A's, and certainly Billy Beane's type of player.

#8 Mike Taylor (no relation)

Mike Taylor (no relation)

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Looks like Youkilis could be in the mix for our 3B opening. I wonder if a reunion with Theo would appeal to him. White Sox just declined his $11M option. You know, I hate to say it, but a less-than-stellar defensive third basemen who can put up better numbers than what we had last year is an easy trade-off. It seems the past couple of seasons he's played around 120 games each year, so Valbuena still can get plenty of at bats.

#9 CubFanBob

CubFanBob

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

I love Youk. He is everything I want in a ball player on my favorite team. The questions I ponder are ..

1. Would he play on the North side knowing his chances of a third ring are slim or he may be traded off mid season ?

2. Are his knees healthy enough to play an entire season ? Would he be willing to sit more for rest and split time at 1b to give Rizzo days off ?

3. How much $ is he looking for and how long of a contract ?

#10 ncsujuri

ncsujuri

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook:ncsujuri
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

I read somewhere that Youk hates the Cubs though for some reason, anyone else see that as well?? Confirm/Deny??

- It's a great day for a ballgame, LET'S PLAY TWO!

#11 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

I said this in the comments already but I'd prefer Polanco at 3B. Steady defender, still makes contact, and provides a positive veteran influence in the clubhouse to go along with Soriano and DeJesus. I've heard bad things about Youk's demeanor I don't want him souring up the youngsters we got with his sense of entitlement and bad attitude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).