4 replies to this topic

#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

It appears we are on the verge of having a new GM. If the rumors are true it is Theo with a 5 year contract.

Will Cubs fans be able to show a little patience, or are they expecting a WS in 2012?

I think a realistic timeline would be something like this:
2012 - Try not to embarrass us like last year's team did.
2013 - Be serious contenders, even if they don't make the playoffs, they should be close all the way to the end.
2014 - Serious run at a championship.

What are your thoughts?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:23 AM

That's the timeline I see as well, Phil. Next year should be dedicated to rebuilding, with an eye toward the 2012 offseason.

From there, I don't see a great reason the Cubs can't be competitive - at least on paper - in 2013. Even then, I'd cut Theo (or whomever) some slack through the 2013 season. But, by 2014, I'd like to see a revamped, exciting, and productive roster.

#3 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

Cubs fans have waited 103 years and have had plenty of false saviors so I think most will be cautiously optimistic.

#4 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

Serious Cub fans are typically divided into two categories: 1-forever faithful, optimistic, and big picture type or 2-Reactionary, angry, Chicken Little sky is falling type. Most of us here on the forum are type 1 fans and can see a three or five year plan and won't expect much next year outside of improving (should be very, very easy), but I promise you as soon as the Cubs go on a serious losing streak or end the season around or below .500 the Negative Nancys will be out in full force.

If Epstein is the guy he will faced with this dual personality of Cub Nation, but luckily we have a patient owner and he building for long term success.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#5 Dave

Dave

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

OMG THE CUBS PRACTICALLY HAVE EPSTEIN WHY ARENT WE IN THE NLCS NOW?????????///////////!!!!!!!!!111111ONEONEONEELEVENELEVENELEVENTYONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).