8 replies to this topic

#1 chirogerg1

chirogerg1

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Several Cubs farmhands placed well in Mayo's post-minor league season rankings. Here is his Top 20 for the Cubs organization:

1. Javier Baez (24 overall)
2. Albert Almora (52)
3. Brett Jackson (74)
4. Arodys Vizcaino (76)
5. Jorge Soler (77)
6. Matt Szczur
7. Trey McNutt
8. Junior Lake
9. Pierce Johnson
10. Josh Vitters
11. Dillon Maples
12. Robert Whitenack
13. Dan Vogelbach
14. Ben Wells
15. Paul Blackburn
16. Jeimer Candelario
17. Gioskar Amaya
18. Tony Zych
19. Alberto Cabrera
20. Marcus Hatley

There are a few surprises for me, at least. NO CHRISTIAN VILLANUEVA?!?!? What has Lake done to warrant him moving up from the old rankings. I had never even heard of Hatley before midseason. Why is he ahead of Duane Underwood? Amaya hit incredibly well this season; I think he should be higher. Glad to see we have 5 Top 100s, though, and Szczur can't be that far off.

#2 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

While this was recently posted, I'm not sure how old it is. Can't be too old, considering that Vizcaino's on it, but he could have been just that east to slide into that spot, whereas Villanueva was not as much of a sure thing.

I don't think that Lake and McNutt should still be that high, thought the shouldnt be completely off, and while Marcus Hatley seems like a good enough reliever, he really shouldn't be above Paniaqua, should be in the top 15.

McNutt's way to high at this point. The fumes of 2010 have have faded, and at this point he's more of a 20-25 guy, Whitenack, though coming off TJS might be a bit high at 12. At this point, he might also be more back of the top 20, or top 21-25.

I also don't quite agree with Marco Hernandez and Torreyes falling out of the top 20 despite fairly weak seasons, although both picked up in the 2nd half, although that could more be viewed more as a result of our systems depth rather than an indictment on them.

Another guy form whom I still have some hope, depsite the fact that he's been largely forgotten is Reggie Golden, though it's understandable that he was taken off the list after his season ending after 7 games.

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm most surprised about McNutt being so high and Underwood and Villanueva being off completely. Actually, I could understand Underwood being off if Blackburn wasn't so high (15). Just don't agree that Blackburn is that much more of a prospect. Also, was sort of expecting Baez to be a bit higher than 24.

And Hatley? I suppose he is close to maybe being on the Iowa - Wrigley shuttle next year, but geeze. What's his ceiling, like Blake Parker - maybe? At the expense of Torreyes, Marco Hernandez, Underwood, and Villaneuva? Granted they are further away, but...

#4 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I think McNutt still can be a decent late inning reliever.

#5 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

Or McNutt might follow in Samardjiza's path, and start as a reliever and grow into a starter. Or, like many other prospects, he could be a total bust. I have him rated around 15th.

#6 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Got Villanueva in at 7 now. this may be man on the moon for some of you but just thought I would update the thread.

#7 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

Got Villanueva in at 7 now. this may be man on the moon for some of you but just thought I would update the thread.

Seven is about where I'll have him as well. He'll be in the six to ten range, probably closer to six than ten, but beyond that it's tough to say just yet.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

If you belieeeeeve ... they put a man on the moon (man on the moooooon)....

#9 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Oh great thanks for that now I will have that song stuck in my head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).