12 replies to this topic

#1 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Man did that kid crush in short season. He really is going to rocket up my own personal rankings. I probably will put him in the 6-8 range. This may be a bit high for some, but if you extrapolate his numbers out for a full season. Wow.

If you don't count the playoffs and you double his AB's he was on pace for a 34 hr. 124 rbi season with 70 walks compared to 96 SO's. That is pretty damn good for a slugger.

Now I know that it doesn't work like that. You can't just double the numbers and say thats what he would have done, but it is fun to think about. The kid can flat out hit the ball.

It is nice to have some power prospects with he, Baez and Soler in the system.

#2 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

You might want to add Dustin Geiger to your list of power prospects. He had 17 homers for Peoria in only 75 games. Miguel Sano was the only hitter in the Midwest League who had more than 19.

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

Vogelbach continuing to rake, and Rizzo developing into a very good big league first baseman would be a nice problem to have.

#4 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

You might want to add Dustin Geiger to your list of power prospects. He had 17 homers for Peoria in only 75 games. Miguel Sano was the only hitter in the Midwest League who had more than 19.

I like Geiger a fair bit. He is only 20 and hit for some power for sure. I was a bit surprised by how much power he hit for though. He hit 3 homers total in 2011 in 240 or so AB's so for him to hit almost 6 times as many in only 60 more ab's this year is pretty strange and cool.

Hopefully he can continue to hit for power and will improve his average and his eye. At this point I am a fan, but a timid one.

#5 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

Geiger's increase in power isn't all that strange for a guy his age. I don't think we need to be suspicious of PEDs or any nonsense of that kind.

#6 ced landrum

ced landrum

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

I wasn't implying anything about PED's. Actually the thought never crossed my mind. I was thinking that it might have been more of a fluke then anything. It is an increase of like 466 percent in hr rate. I would say that is a bit strange for anyone of any age. It isn't impossible or anything like that, but it is a drastic increase.

One other thing to mention about Geiger is that he needs a ton of work at 3rd. He isn't very good there. He is young and has time to improve, but he is a bit of a butcher. He needs to get a better all around game. Still timid fan, but very skeptical that he can keep it up.

#7 thejackal

thejackal

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Facebook:bradley gannon
  • Locationmulberry grove illinois

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Man did that kid crush in short season. He really is going to rocket up my own personal rankings. I probably will put him in the 6-8 range. This may be a bit high for some, but if you extrapolate his numbers out for a full season. Wow.

If you don't count the playoffs and you double his AB's he was on pace for a 34 hr. 124 rbi season with 70 walks compared to 96 SO's. That is pretty damn good for a slugger.

Now I know that it doesn't work like that. You can't just double the numbers and say thats what he would have done, but it is fun to think about. The kid can flat out hit the ball.

It is nice to have some power prospects with he, Baez and Soler in the system.

thejackal

#8 thejackal

thejackal

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Facebook:bradley gannon
  • Locationmulberry grove illinois

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

first off im glad i found this site and thank everyone for there useful info i love reading everything you guys put on here. that bein said i love vogelbach but where the hell we gonna put him does anyone think we can move rizzo to outfield or is vogelbach trade bait for an AL team
thejackal

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

first off im glad i found this site and thank everyone for there useful info i love reading everything you guys put on here. that bein said i love vogelbach but where the hell we gonna put him does anyone think we can move rizzo to outfield or is vogelbach trade bait for an AL team

Vogelbach ha quite a ways to go yet and a lot can change. There is plenty of time to worry about this later, but yeah one of them would have to go if both are playing well when Vogelbach is ready. Rizzo would not be a good move to the outfield with his gold glove caliber play at first and Vog cannot move there. Rizzo can't move to 3rd being left handed so that leaves it down to trading one of them. (Hope that didn't ramble an was coherent (on phone (not proof reading))).

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

By the time Vogelbach is ready for MLB, the National League may well have adopted the Designated Hitter rule. Problem solved.

#11 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

where the hell we gonna put him

If the Cubs ever do have this problem, the entire front office will be very, very happy.

So will I.

#12 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

By the time Vogelbach is ready for MLB, the National League may well have adopted the Designated Hitter rule. Problem solved.

I hope I don't keep hearing this. I might quit watching baseball if the NL does this. It's like the one major change made in baseball since it's inception (at least since we've had major league baseball), and I wish the American league would get rid of it.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#13 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

I hope I don't keep hearing this. I might quit watching baseball if the NL does this. It's like the one major change made in baseball since it's inception (at least since we've had major league baseball), and I wish the American league would get rid of it.

Never going to happen. The players union will never allow it. Unfortunately it seems inevitable.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).