Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

No members are celebrating a birthday today

Photo

5 Things Ricketts/Epstein Should Do to Change Cub Culture.....seriously...well, sort of

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Twitter:oswegochris23
  • LocationOswego, Illinois

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Well now that it's about to feel like the day after Christmas or your birthday once the Theo thing is done.( you know, that slightly let down feeling) Where do we go from here? Here are 5 ways the Cubs could "change the culture".

1.QUIT CHEERING THROWING OPPOSING HOMERUNS BACK

I know some of you were born after this started, but to me and many other old guys this tradition screams loserdom. I was at a game in the early 90's, Kevin Foster gives up a three run bomb, we throw it back and the crowd goes crazy. At that moment I realized just how stupid and pathetic this tradition makes Cub fans look. It would be okay if we just didn't cheer it. In fact, it might be quite initimidating if it was just one loud continuous boo, as the opposing team was running around the bases. I would like it to be more of a "we don't want your freaking ball!", rather than a "yay! we threw the ball back" The bleachers could be like that crazy fan section at Raider games. Make them afraid to hit the ball there.

2. STAND UP TO THE CITY AND THE NEIGHBORHOOD

This is inherently easier now that one of the worlds biggest Cub-haters is no longer the Mayor, but Wrigley (both pre/post improvements ) can be a bigger money making machine. There are countless other revenue streams available. ( love that term,or maybe it is that I wish I had more) They just had 10,00 people in there to watch a 25 year old movie that you can see any weekend on TBS! The neighborhood has to be made to realize(or schmoozed if you prefer) that the economic ceiling of the Cubs has yet to be reached, in fact there is plenty of room.

3. SHOOT FOR YOUR OWN TV NETWORK

I realize we aren't the Yankees, but talk about revenue streams!(I said it again!) Perhaps this is one of Ricketts plans as he did gain a share of Comcast Sportsnet with the purchase. Maybe a Cub/Blackhawk channel morphs out of Sportsnet. Many possibilities for more cash.

4. PRESENT A TOUGHER IMAGE

Many have tried, many have failed. The "lovable" in "lovable losers" has to go away.(well, the loser part does too actually) All things Cub need to be tougher. No more falling in love with marginal talent( I am looking at you Tony Campana). No more hanging on to players past their prime because we love them. This might be Theo's biggest challenge, but the Cub moniker has to equal tough.

5. FORGIVE STEVE BARTMAN

No, I have not been inspired by "Catching Hell". Actually, I can't bring myself to watch it. You want some good karma? Steve Bartman throws out the first pitch of the 2012 season. Seriously. It will help with the excuse/curse/goat culture that continues to exist. The Marlins proved they were better, or better managed(take your pick) but quit blaming this poor guy. I believe it was Snoop Dogg who said "To err is human, but to forgive is devine baby!

Well just my thoughts, we know you read BN Mr. Ricketts, I hope you turn your new Prez/GM onto the site.

#2 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Great, fine, whatever, forgive Bartman... when do us fucking goats get some forgiveness. Just cause my GGrandpa "Billy" Goat was dragged to a game and his owner was denied access WE are the damn curse. Remember it wasn't the Grandpa Billy that cursed the organization. Yet what do hear over and over again... Curse of the Billy Goat.

FORGIVE THE GOATS!

Posted Image

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

I worry about a Cubs Network, will this mean that the national audience will see even less games than we do now?

Remember many of us became Cub fans because of WGN and the fact that we could see every game every day.

Its sad that now people have to pay in order to see their favorite teams and its harder and harder for our kids to see the Cubs play on TV regularly.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

1.) NO WAY. I don't care if it seems small, petty, loserish, etc. I dream about the day I get to throw a homer back.

2.) Right on.

3.) Right on, and it's on the way. Various contracts run through, I believe, 2019 though, so it could be a long time.

4.) Agreed. Hard to "fake," though.

5.) Whateves. I forgave the man a long time ago. I'll never forgive the memory.

#5 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

It became sad to me when WGN decided(or I guess the ratings decided) that it was more important to have Buffy the Vampire Slayer on WGN than our beloved Cubs...baseball will reign supreme again someday! I love football, but those people who say how boring baseball is compared to football must enjoy those 7 false starts the Bears had in their first 9 plays...or commericals after every change of possession....yes I realize they have all of those commercials because it's popular...

I have nothing against Goats

#6 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

Brett...4 out of 5 aint bad...and I guess the "homer throw back thing" is the Cub generation gap between us...

I would be okay with it if the crowd didn't cheer when it happens....just one loud continuous boo...that would add to the toughness....it would be almost "Oakland Raider" like...we don't want your F@#&ing ball...boo!....in fact....that gives me an idea to edit ny earlier post...

thanks brett

#7 Oswego Chris

Oswego Chris

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

Brett, you have a nice future as an editor....

#8 Laura

Laura

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I don't view throwing the opposing team's ball back as saying winning isn't important. Maybe just the opposite. The Cubs could be up by 10 runs and the other team's homer will still get thrown back. It represents loyalty. No matter how well we're playing, if you hit a ball out of the park and you're not in blue pinstripes, you may as well smack a ball of shit out of park, because that's what your homer is equivalent to.

The Bartman idea is clever, as long as he doesn't get booed.

Good thoughts, Philoe!

#9 amoo22

amoo22

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:andrewmoo22
  • Facebook:andrew Moore

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

idea 5 gave me goosebumps and then the dude on my should was going "do it do it do it"

#10 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

I agree with 2, 3, and 4 completely. Number one, no way in hell. It is awesome that Wrigley is the only place that does this, and it is always nice watching someone throw an opponents homerun ball back on the field. Number five, I don't care about, I only blame his as much as I do Alex Gonzalex, Moises Alou, or Dusty Baker. Everyone had a hand in that collapse, Bartman was just a role player, and a jackass.

I have also compiled a well researched and 100% guaranteed way to change the culture:
1.Win
2. Win
3.Win
4. Win
5. Win
Quit making excuses and blaming silly things, the money is there, the will is there, the fans will go crazy, there is no longer a reason this team can't win.

#11 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

In terms of number 1 - I've heard that many people in the bleacher don't throw back the actual ball, but a "dummy" ball that they bring with them. Anyone else ever heard of this?

MichiganGoat on Twitter

#12 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

In terms of number 1 - I've heard that many people in the bleacher don't throw back the actual ball, but a "dummy" ball that they bring with them. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Not uncommon - though not everyone has a dummy ball, and those who bring one aren't always willing to share.

#13 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

I like the throwing the ball back thing. I haven't been lucky enough to catch one yet but if I do, I'll throw it back and not a dummy ball either.

As for #5 I think Bartman just wants to be left alone. Any rational Cubs fan (errr...you know what I mean) knows he didn't do anything most people would have done when sitting in that seat that fateful night. Everyone knows Alex Gonzales booted that ball and THAT is what did it. Of course not winning the next night might have had something to do with it too.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#14 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I like the throwing the ball back thing. I haven't been lucky enough to catch one yet but if I do, I'll throw it back and not a dummy ball either.

As for #5 I think Bartman just wants to be left alone. Any rational Cubs fan (errr...you know what I mean) knows he didn't do anything most people would have done when sitting in that seat that fateful night. Everyone knows Alex Gonzales booted that ball and THAT is what did it. Of course not winning the next night might have had something to do with it too.

Welcome to the Board, Katie.

So what you're saying is that we should forgive Alex Gonzalez?

#15 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Welcome to the Board, Katie.

So what you're saying is that we should forgive Alex Gonzalez?

Thanks for the welcome!

As you well know, Alex Gonzalez is a major league baseball player who was paid lots of money to make routine plays. Mr Bartman was a spectator in the stands watching his beloved Cubs on their way to a WS berth. There's plenty of scapegoats for them not winning: Gonzalez, Prior, Baker, Bartman, etc etc. I guess I feel if we truly want to change the culture of the Cubs we need to acknowledge the past but forgive and move on. Call me Pollyanna but that's how I feel.
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).