26 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph

Ralph

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

So, I have a couple of buddies who agree that when you are talking about your favorite sports team, you should never use "we" in place of the team name. For example: "we just can't catch a break," or "we struggle with runners in scoring position." I know I have pulled this move plenty of times, but now I'm going to be conscious of it. Their theory is simply that you are not on that team, so where exactly does the "we" come in? I would say that "we" would be all Cubs fans, right?... but now I don't know what to think.... so I decided to bring it to Bleacher Nation for thoughts?

#2 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Basic pronoun usage. Its simply easier than saying The Cubs, The Cubs, The Cubs over and over. Sure, you could also use them, but it is what it is. Besides, them is used to refer to the opponent.

#3 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

They're "we"/"us" to me. Being a Cubs fan is part of my identity. I am a husband; a father; a Cubs fan; a Deadhead; a landscape architect. Every other identity I've ever had has been fleeting. Those five have stayed.

#4 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

Is there a thread for this from last winter? (Not trying to be a dick/thread cop. Just have a vague memory of a similar discussion.)

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

It has been discussed before, but this is a new thread. Not everyone has been around as long as us "old timers".

:lol:
Please don't feed the psychos.

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

They're "we"/"us" to me. Being a Cubs fan is part of my identity. I am a husband; a father; a Cubs fan; a Deadhead; a landscape architect. Every other identity I've ever had has been fleeting. Those five have stayed.

You forgot douchenozzle.

and No, I try to never use the we/us thing.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

You forgot douchenozzle.

Dammit! I ALWAYS forget that one!

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Is there a thread for this from last winter? (Not trying to be a dick/thread cop. Just have a vague memory of a similar discussion.)

I thought so, too. I even went so far as to use the (really crappy) search feature of the Message Board to try to find it -- to no avail. I thought I was just having a pseudo-flashback. It happens.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I thought so, too. I even went so far as to use the (really crappy) search feature of the Message Board to try to find it -- to no avail. I thought I was just having a pseudo-flashback. It happens.

It was definitely discussed. My guess is it was a break-off discussion in a thread.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

It was definitely discussed. My guess is it was a break-off discussion in a thread.

Fucking thread hijackers.

Anyway, anyone seen any good movies lately?

#11 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Fucking thread hijackers.

Anyway, anyone seen any good movies lately?

Does Mars needs Moms count? It's not a "good" movie but it is a movie.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#12 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

"We" didn't see this movie.
(And I'm pretty sure that means most of us.)

#13 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm a search savant:

http://www.bleachern...__fromsearch__1

#14 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm a search savant:

You must be, because I searched both terms "we" and "us" in the posts title and came up w/ nothing. 'Course, I only spent, like, 8 seconds on it.

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

I'm a search savant:

You must be, because I searched both terms "we" and "us" in the posts title and came up w/ nothing. 'Course, I only spent, like, 8 seconds on it.

The search ignores words with less that 4 characters.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).