#1 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

In the past, any big moves at this time of year have been a rarity, if at sll. Sure there are minor things, but mostly because you can't use them i the post season, teams don't tend to do anything big. Well this year's different. With the extra Wild Card spots turning out to be as much of a game changer as planned, and some close division races, with roughly 2.5 weeks left, there are more fringe contenders than ever, many of which might consider some reinforcements for the stretch run. Among the teams that are close, there are:

Dodgers: .5 GB for 2nd WC, tied if the win tnight. I can't see them doing anything more than they have though
Pirates: 2 GB for 2nd WC. 2 for their last 8, seemingly in similar free fall as last year. Needs: What do you got?
Phillies: 3 GB for 2nd WC, after selling off Victorino and Pence, and almost Lee. Offense seems healthy, but they could use another big bat. Soriano? Couldnt play in the post season, but he's under control for another 2 years. If the Cubs pick up most of the tab, he could fit in well with their aging core.
Brewers: 3 GB for 2nd WC (if they hang on tonight) Needs: pitching, starting and relief. Marcum's not fully healthy, and Fiers and Peralta might not be the best bets for this kind of stretch run.
Cardinals: 1 game up in 2nd WC, tied if Dodgers win tonight. Brewers and Phillies also streaking toward them. Needs: LaRussa to send another pixie dust care package.
Yankees: Tied for AL East and 2nd WC. Needs: pitching
Orioles: Tied for AL East and 2nd WC. Needs: luck to hold out
Rays: 2 GB in AL E and 2 GB 2nd WC Needs: Big Bat. Soriano could be of use to them as well
Tigers: 2 GB AL C, 1 if they win tonight. Needs: an IF or DH type bat
White Sox: 2 games up Al C, 1 if they lose tonight Needs: luck to hold out. Peavy and Sale not to break. Rios and Pierzynskie not to be busted for PED use
A's: 2 GB AL W, 2 Game up 1st WC 4 Games up 2nd WC. Needs: Luck to hold out. Infield bat(s) couldn't hurt either
Angels: 2.5 GB 2nd WC. Needs: Relief pitching. Marmol could be a fit. Again, not a rent-a-player.

That's 12 teams in very close races for the post season. In addition to trades, could teams like this take fliers out on guys like Manny Ramirez, Vlad Guerrero, Johnny Damon, or Magglio Ordonez? Maybe even Derrek Lee?

A few other guys who could be available are Jason Bay, Jason Giambi, Cody Ross, Daisuke, Darren Oliver, Jeff Francoeur,Omar Vizquel, Carlos Villanueva, and the one and only "Big Z," Carlos Zambrano. Also Carlos Lee if he'd accept another trade. I'll assume all of them have long since cleared waivers by a mile. Aside from Soriano and Marmol, all of our chips are cashed in. Someone could take Camp, Corpas, or LaHair if we gave them away, but that's about it.

It could be an interesting few weeks on the warm stove. Or not.

#2 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I remember the Cubs making a late season trade after the August 31st deadline was Bill Mueller for some scrub ten years ago. The most likely scenario is if a team needs a starter for a doubleheader due to rain and don't have any servicable folks in the minors kind of like how the Red Sox were talking about acquiring Bruce Chen last year. remember these dudes aren't elligible to be on the postseason roster if traded after August

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).