#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

Cubs Fact:

Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa was the recipeint of the 1998 Roberto Clemente Award, given to the player who best exemplifies the game of baseball through sportsmanship, community involvement and positive contributions to his team.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

Rumor has it that Roberto is still spinning.

#3 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Cubs Fact:

Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa was the recipeint of the 1998 Roberto Clemente Award, given to the player who best exemplifies the game of baseball through sportsmanship, community involvement and positive contributions to his team.

The funny part to me is that someone actually thought this would be a good fact to put on a calendar. Did they not get the irony or, just not care.

Anyone want to make a list of why he shouldn't have won the award?

I'll start it off.
Posted Image Posted Imagedouche

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

"Sportsmanship" - Corked bat, PEDs

"Community Involvement" - I will give him this one, he was very active in the community.

"Positive Contributions to Team" - he did lend a certain air of excitement to the team, but I always felt that was just a by product of his obsession with his own accomplishments. There are too many "Me, Me, Me" incidents to list.

Well, they got 1 out of 3 right.

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Don't forget that in 1998 "Sammy Sooser and Mike McGwire" were being credited for saving MLB. In 1998, he resembled Clemente physically more than he did Tony Curtis.

Sosa winning the award in 1998 wasn't surprising then. I appreciate the Calendar for making this a fact for the day... reminding us how gullible and how stupid we can be.

#6 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

I appreciate the Calendar for making this a fact for the day... reminding us how gullible and how stupid we can be.

I have no shame for (then) loving the 1998 season, and for (now) loving my memories of it.

#7 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I appreciate the Calendar for making this a fact for the day... reminding us how gullible and how stupid we can be.

I have no shame for (then) loving the 1998 season, and for (now) loving my memories of it.

Same here. I also believe the team needs to somehow make amends with Sammy. But I chose to ignore certain things (even rationalized the corked bat) and argued on Sammy's behalf for several years. I would not argue the same things today.

#8 OCCubFan

OCCubFan

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSanibel Island

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

I believe it was during the last week of the 1998 season---with the Cubs in a fight for a playoff spot and Sosa in a dead heat with McGuire---that Sosa took time out to load hurricane relief supplies for the DR. That was a Clemente-like thing to have done.

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think you're right! His involvement in the community was never in question, as Fishin Phil mentioned.

#10 Dave H

Dave H

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLombard,IL

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Sammy in '98 was amazing. Yeah juice was involved. He was a great contributor to the community. All of us checked out the games to see if he would knock one out. In retrospect, it is truly a shame. Glad they did put it in the calendar.

"We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It HAS happened before." - Lou Brown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).