4 replies to this topic

#1 NathanDonald13

NathanDonald13

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

If Austin Meadows is available when the Cubs pick in the 2013 draft, do they pick him? He is the best positional player but an outfielder which is a strengh of in the minor league system or does it have to be a pitcher in the first round with that being one of the weakest position.

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

I think it really depends on who else is available. If a "Mark Prior" type emerges from the college season I think you have to go after him. A dominant college pitcher would be the preferred pick to jump start contributing around 2015 or 16 when they hope to be competitive. If no one else really distinguishes them self, you have to take the best pick regardless of your system. And yeah, Who's to say Meadows will make it to pick 2 or 3?

#3 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

I think they'd take him if he's the best player available when they pick. An outfield of Meadows, Soler and Almora could be downright scary, and Jackson, Szczur and Ha could be traded for more pitching.

#4 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

So is that Jeremy Martinez kid the consensus no. 1 pick overall at this point? I only see the rankings from ESPN. Are there more out there that have Meadows that high?
- diehard fanclub member #002

#5 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

No. The ESPN ratings are the first time I've seen anyone other than Austin Meadows listed as the top HS prospect. Baseball America has the three top college pitchers, Meadows and a college OF (first name also Austin, last name I've forgotten) ranked as the top five.

I was surprised that ESPN had catchers ranked 1st, 3rd, 16th, 18th, 19th and 25th high schoo prospects. . The Cubs should have their choice of the three prospects in the teens with their second-round pick, if that's what they want.

It's also worth noting that there's lots of time between now and next June for players to move up or down in the rankings, particularly among the pitchers and the high school hitters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).