#1 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

There seems little doubt that the quality of the product sold to NFL fans this year is sub par.

Three ways the product was hurt this week:

1) What is a flaggable touch: How hard; For how long; How far downfield; is one player allowed to hit, pull, wrap up an opponent? This question is creating excess post-whistle action. I like intensity, but this seems like a horrible waste of player talent, player intensity, and TIME

2) Time. Games are getting longer and longer (what do they think this is, baseball?) while Division 3 officiating castoffs try to figure out where to position the ball at the end of a play, what actual infraction they will call after a flag (was that defensive holding or pass interference?), and how far each official can get from the understandably irrate players and coaches beefing from the sidlines.

3) Time. While extra time is being taken between snaps, offenses are subbing players, defenses are changing and adjusting. Pacing used to be something you valued in a quarterback. If anyone has good pacing, you couldn't tell yesterday. And who needs a timeout when everyone gets ten or more free ones every half--it is like a high school scrimmage (other than the billions of dollars in the balance, of course)

The NFL should stop taking the fan-base (that Steve Sabol built for them out of slow-mo spirals set to music) for granted.

The NFL should settle the damned contract.

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

I agree with everything you said except (at least going into this past weekend), there have been more penalties called this year than last year up to this point. Now, the argument to that is the players knew what they could/couldn't get away with in the past and now they are trying to feel out the replacement refs. In turn, they are finding out they can get away with more and are holding/biting/scratching/grabbing/kicking more than in the past so you would assume more penalties would be called. my2cents.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

If the real refs were there and making the exact same calls, nobody is even talking about any of this -- especially the gutless announcers.

#4 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

If the real refs were there and making the exact same calls, nobody is even talking about any of this -- especially the gutless announcers.

This. I absolutely hate listening to those pompous jerks tear apart a ref for a terrible call as they watch the slow-mo replay from four different angles at 30 frames per second. It's not half as bad as seeing players and coaches complain though. For fans, it's part of the game, but for everybody else, act like professionals and deal with it.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

This. I absolutely hate listening to those pompous jerks tear apart a ref for a terrible call as they watch the slow-mo replay from four different angles at 30 frames per second. It's not half as bad as seeing players and coaches complain though. For fans, it's part of the game, but for everybody else, act like professionals and deal with it.

I partly agree with you on this. There are other aspects to reffing the game which they are completely blowing it. The game last night was totally out of hand and there wasn't a flag thrown the entire first half to try and get the players to settle down. All they got was "now sir please don't knock the other guy upside the head 10 seconds after the whistle again, or I will have to ask you a second time to not do it".

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

I partly agree with you on this. There are other aspects to reffing the game which they are completely blowing it. The game last night was totally out of hand and there wasn't a flag thrown the entire first half to try and get the players to settle down. All they got was "now sir please don't knock the other guy upside the head 10 seconds after the whistle again, or I will have to ask you a second time to not do it".

Yea, I agree with this, and with FFP's original point, that ref's are not being good administrators, letting the conduct and pacing of the game get out of control, which makes it less enjoyable to watch. It just irks me when you get guys with huge egos (ie- coaches, announcers) second-guessing every call just because the replacement refs are so obviously incompetent. Moral of the story is, I hate Bill Belichick.

#7 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Spriggs, although the calls are different, especially for holding and bumping receivers inside of five yards; that's not my biggest complaint.

The lack of control aspect that Cubbie Blues noted in last night's game was almost funny, so at least I was entertained. So, again, not my main point.

I don't like that games this year are longer because of replacement refs.

I object to the pace of the game being screwed up. I find it annoying that I can tell (with the announcers happily blathering on about anything else) that the game, snap-to-snap, is taking too long.

I object to the time afforded coaches and captains to re-plan in-game without calling a timeout. This changes the outcome of the game without any (actual or perceived) blown calls. How the hell is a team suppose to run a hurry up offense when an "official" unfamiliar with the milieu is trying to hatch the football like an egg on the approximated line of scrimmage?

Football had evolved into an arms race. Teams armed themselves with the ability and agility to gather, assess and react to in-game intelligence. I was enjoying trying to keep up with that aspect (like dialogue in an Aaron Sorkin movie). It is no longer an arms race, but rather a slow, dull fist pounding. Someone still gets bloodied, and someone still "wins"(like Rocky); but it is not as fun this year.

#8 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

The game tonight proves the refs are changing the outcome of the game. As much as I dislike the Packers and love that they lost, they should have won the game. The refs blew many a call going down the stretch. They are doing the best they can, but they just don't have the experience.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

FFP, I see your point about the timing of the game and I cannot disagree. It is unfortunate. I also agree with Cubbie Blues that the refs just don't have the experience. Steve Young said last night that it would be impossible for them to succeed right away as they are just not used to the speed of the game. That is probably true.

But making a different point, I maintain - even after the Monday Night game - that there would not be all this outrage if these were the regular officials making the exact same calls. It would not be open season on the refs. Instead of all this self righteous indignation from guys like Dilfer and Mortenson, you would no doubt be hearing a lot more rationalizations in favor of the call. The kind of silly rationalizations we've all heard many times before after atrocious, horrible calls.

I admit that I am way more of baseball fan (especially since the stunning Bears move to Champaign-Urbana in 2002), but I do find this situation kind of funny.

#10 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,638 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

The pace of games is, for me, the biggest sign that things are amiss. Obviously these guys are doing the best they can (imagine if the Cubs suddenly asked 25 of us to play for them for a few weeks), but it's definitely affecting my enjoyment of the games. Too slow, too little control, and - as you guys have said - too annoying to hear the announcers KEEP talking about it.

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

(imagine if the Cubs suddenly asked 25 of us to play for them for a few weeks)

I'm playing second base!

#12 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

I'm noticing fewer quarterback hit, pass interference, and holding calls, and that I like. Personally, I do agree they take a little longer to make decisions on some things, and game play is stopped too often, but the actual penalty calling on the field is better in my opinion, just because it seems to be lessened (I could be wrong, it just seems that way to me).

It's not like there weren't questionable calls that were being discussed on a regular basis last year when we had the regular referees calling the games. I really think a much bigger deal is being made out of it than what really exists just because we know that it does exist.

Does anyone remember the Bears-Lions game from last year? Regular refs got chewed up after that game. Just one example, but I think we tend to remember things much better than they actually were when they're gone. Just like an ex-girlfriend.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#13 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

Does anyone remember the Bears-Lions game from last year? Regular refs got chewed up after that game.

Yeah, but we won. So, like, fuck it.

I just watched the replay of that game-ending "touchdown" (I didn't watch the game last night). Holy crap, that might have been the worst call I've ever seen. Embarrassing,

#14 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, but we won. So, like, fuck it.

Agreed.

And yeah, that call was pretty bad, but like you said, Green Bay lost, so...
- diehard fanclub member #002

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm noticing fewer quarterback hit, pass interference, and holding calls, and that I like. Personally, I do agree they take a little longer to make decisions on some things, and game play is stopped too often, but the actual penalty calling on the field is better in my opinion, just because it seems to be lessened (I could be wrong, it just seems that way to me).

They are actually calling more penalties than last year. It's just that they are calling penalties when there aren't any and not calling penalties when there are. In addition, the defense is trying to get away with more and they are. If I were to guess the reason for more penalties being called would be that there are more infractions made. Let me put it another way. The number of penalties being called it up, but the percentage of the infractions that are actually called are down.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).