#16 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

I always get very frustrated with inconsistencies, but honestly, I'm seeing more inconsistency with the criticism of the refs than in their game-calling itself. For example, everybody talks about how the refs need to "let the players play" while at the same time saying that they need to "get the game under control." That's dumb.

Also, I always hear about how they're just not used to the "fast pace of the game" but in one particular play last night, the refs called pass interference on a play where the defender clearly hit the receiver a split second before the ball arrived, and the announcers were tearing them apart for not swallowing their whistle. Many football plays are going to fall in that gray area where they can go either way, and it pisses me off to listen to announcers vehemently taking sides one way over another on a relatively ambiguous play.

Side note: I love this about Len and Bob. So freaking honest about how they interpret a call on the field. If the Cubs get the benefit of a call, they'll say so. And if it's a really close play that could go either way, they never give the ump shit. Only when its an obviously blown call do they criticize umpires, and usually then with caveats about how up in the booth they have the benefit of replay, while the umpires down on the field do not. Always complimenting umps for working hard to get themselves in the best position to make a call, and conferring with the other officials on the field to get the call right. It's so pleasant to listen to announcers that respect the ones enforcing the rules on the field. You know, as opposed to some a-holes.

#17 PRcajun

PRcajun

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationStatesboro, GA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

(imagine if the Cubs suddenly asked 25 of us to play for them for a few weeks)

I'm playing second base!

beat me to the punch. Damn.

#18 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

Why does everyone insist on playing 2nd for the Cubs? How can you possibly live up to the Darwin Barney hype and his 500 zillion WAR rating? I'll play 3rd. I think I can hit around .100!

#19 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

I've got LF. The current player and I are very close in age, so I figure I've got a shot.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#20 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

The Patriots' play in their home game against Denver Sunday afternoon illustrated my initial point pretty well. Pacing had been hurt by the replacements.

With the locked out officials no longer locked out, the Patriots went no huddle early and often. (They caught Denver with 13 or 14 guys on the field at one point.) The match ups were manipulated by holding a first down defense on the field while the Patriots ran second and third down plays at then known quantities. It was like a ballet. I liked it.
I don't expect to see a visiting team to pull off such manuever (next week the Pats are at Seattle, so audibles will be inaudible, at least to anyone out past the guards), but I had missed this aspect of the game.
Now that's settled. I am happy. At least about NFL football.

And as for replacement Cubs, I have always harbored the delusion that I could have been a pitcher. I'll work on my knuckler just in case.

#21 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Why does everyone insist on playing 2nd for the Cubs? How can you possibly live up to the Darwin Barney hype and his 500 zillion WAR rating? I'll play 3rd. I think I can hit around .100!

Count me in as backup catcher. I think I can easily approach a Koyie Hill level of production.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).