TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Anyone want to have a conversation that we've already had?

I'm curious: is this the natural order of internet things*? I've been on the 'net for a couple decades at this point, and I've been parts of many, many chat groups, EBBs, usenet groups, etc. At some point does everything devolve into rehashing arguments? That's what it seems like.

Or is this a specific function of there being not much else to talk about (on topic of the Cubs)? I really hope things pick up soon. I liked the days of chaos and miscellany (both here and on the front page). I really hope we're not still talking about The Colvin Trade Fiasco or The Sean Marshall Incident in Spring Training...

And I'm not trying to whine. I'll admit my engagement to the Cubs' season, and by extension BN, has waned as we limp toward the finish. It's just a drag. Hopefully the Lukewarm Stove becomes hot this offseason, and hope springs again.

* "things", that is, that don't involve cat videos.

#2 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Agreed. The miscellany has become a rare commodity around these part lately, but I too am attributing them to the lackluster season the Cubs have had this year.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Some of it's natural, some of it's the influx of new folks who think they're discussing something totally new; but mostly it's the lack of interest in the Cubs right now. So the only Cubs discussions that take place are familiar ones, and the other stuff doesn't really come up because lots of regulars are away right now.

It'll get worse in October, I'm afraid to say, before picking back up in November and December. 'Tis the cycle of the online baseball season - you just hope that the peaks keep exceeding the previous peaks, and the valleys the previous valleys.

We were spoiled last year with Theo mania and then a managerial search.

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

I should add, one of these years, the Cubs won't be God-fucking-awful in September, and we'll have PLENTY to discuss.

#5 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

So the only Cubs discussions that take place are familiar ones, and the other stuff doesn't really come up because lots of regulars are away right now. ...

Fucking Michigan Goat...

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

So, what are your thoughts on Josh Hamilton? I think Hendry was an idiot to trade him. If you add in Ryno as the manager that spells "championship".

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

So, what are your thoughts on Josh Hamilton? I think Hendry was an idiot to trade him. If you add in Ryno as the manager that spells "championship".

Fucking Tim...

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

So sorry 'bout that. It doesn't contribute anything to the debate. If there was an edit button I might have reworded that (or deleted it entirely), but... well... fuck it at this point.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

So sorry 'bout that. It doesn't contribute anything to the debate. If there was an edit button I might have reworded that (or deleted it entirely), but... well... fuck it at this point.

Yeah, you did misspell Cubbie Blues.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#10 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

It'll get worse in October, I'm afraid to say

I don't know about that, the live game chats during the playoffs last year were fantastic fun, though they were a much smaller group than what was in those chats this year

#11 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

Yeah, you did misspell Cubbie Blues.

Ha. I was actually referring to my snide remark to that front page troll, but... point taken.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

It'll get worse in October, I'm afraid to say

I don't know about that, the live game chats during the playoffs last year were fantastic fun, though they were a much smaller group than what was in those chats this year

Agreed. That end-of-the-season night was BATTY. I think MG had an aneurysm or six.

#13 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:36 AM

The secret to ... discussions ... like that one from yesterday is to identify the kind of person that you just can't have that kind of discussion with early on, and avoid it altogether.

#14 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

The secret to ... discussions ... like that one from yesterday is to identify the kind of person that you just can't have that kind of discussion with early on, and avoid it altogether.

HEY! That's exactly what I've been practicing lately, and I feel much better because of it. I still write at least a dozen posts a day that I end up not posting. For me, there are really only a handful of people on the boards that really rile me up, but then I realize they just continue to say the same things over and over, and there's no changing their mind. Maybe one day everyone will just ignore their posts and they'll just go away.

Honestly, I don't mind the differing opinions, but I'd be lying if I said the constant droning on about all the things Theo is doing wrong didn't bother me. I'm an armchair GM just like the rest of us, but one year is not the litmus test for success. Anyhow, now I'm droning on. I have to get it out somewhere!
- diehard fanclub member #002

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

Hey, Tommy. Here is a thread you might enjoy. Things you hate that everyone else likes

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).