Bleacher Nation is on Facebook, and you should totally "Like" us:

Bleacher Nation is also on Twitter, and you should totally follow us:

Upcoming Calendar Events

There are no forthcoming calendar events

Today's birthdays

Photo

What would happen if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90% the speed of light?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

Are you familiar with xkcd? No? Well, you're crazy. Like really, really crazy. It's wonderful stuff.

The author, Randall Munroe*, has started a (very Straight Dope-like) weekly column on physics and math problems. It's a riot. The first installment had to do with baseball. -ish. I think you'd all get a kick out of it. Finally gives us a good answer to what Mark Prior COULD have done, had he stayed healthy.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

* I have a really hard time thinking of anything other than Last of the Mohicans when I meet or read of someone named Munroe. Fucking Magwa.

#2 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

Also, for the Star Wars dorks here (you know who I'm looking at), this one was great, too: http://what-if.xkcd.com/3/

#3 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

Someone is WRONG on the Internet!

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Also, for the Star Wars dorks here (you know who I'm looking at), this one was great, too: http://what-if.xkcd.com/3/

Holy shit that's awesome.

#5 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

I could very well be wrong, but I think we did the 90% of light thing before (or maybe it was on an engineering blog I peruse). Never the less, good stuff. Never mind I believe it was throwing a baseball at orbital escape velocity on the moon and it let me to the same article.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#6 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

I love the last comment.

A careful reading of official Major League Baseball Rule 6.08( B) suggests that in this situation, the batter would be considered "hit by pitch", and would be eligible to advance to first base.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#7 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

I could very well be wrong, but I think we did the 90% of light thing before (or maybe it was on an engineering blog I peruse). Never the less, good stuff. Never mind I believe it was throwing a baseball at orbital escape velocity on the moon and it let me to the same article.

It was in the Bullets, but, unlike you, I didn't want to call TWC an inattentive piece of shit.

#8 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

It was in the Bullets, but, unlike you, I didn't want to call TWC an inattentive piece of shit.

Larf.

So it was (7/12/12)... when I was on vacation. In Chicago, of all places. So I missed it (and only found out about What If? a month or so ago). So I love you all. And you can all fuck off. You needed the reminder anyway.

#9 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Eh, he needs the reminder every now and then.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).