Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

The Cubs should pursue Yu Darvish but only if the price is right. In 4 seasons Darvish is 58 and 22 with a 1.81 ERA and 807 strike outs. Granted he has pitched 792 innings in 4 seasons, but his stats are pretty damn good not to mention he is only 25… The one thing that the Cubs need above all else is pitching, and now we have an opportunity to get a potential ace. I know that Japanese players have not done so well in the states BUT Darvish is still pretty young, most of the players that have made the trip across the pacific have been older ( 27-30) Kosuke came over here he was 30. Everybody is so quick to rip on Daisuke but he did pretty damn good in the majors untill he got hurt. His last full season in the majors which was in 2008 ( he went 18-3 with a 2.90 ERA), not to mention he was 27 when he came over to the MLB. If the cubs can sign Darvish for $10-$15 mil I think they should do it. He has the potential to immediately upgrade the Cubs rotation.

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#2 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

The mileage on his young arm concerns me a little. I hate this whole stupid "posting" routine. Having said all that, I think we can not afford to not at least look. It's not like we have an excess of quality starters.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#3 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

I agree he does have a lot of milage on his arm, but aside from Garza our pitching staff is garbage. If we want to WIN next year let alone be competative we have to get some kind of starting pitching whether it be through trades or through FA.
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Even if we don't win in 2012, you can't just wait until 2013 and put together a whole rotation at once. You have Garza in place now, add another young arm this year, maybe one or two more next year, next thing you know... you have a quality rotation.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#5 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

The mileage, for me, is a far greater concern than the Japan/US transition. He's thrown as many pitches/innings as someone in the States would have by the time he was in his late 20s. As we've seen with Zambrano, that can make a 30-year-old's arm fall off like he was 35 (if he isn't, you know, actually 35).

#6 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

If the Cubs are to pursue Darvish they need to have better scouts in place than the ones that recommended Fuko to Hendry. Everyone was enamored with Fuko and skills didn't translate. Obviously 2 different ball players, just curious how Japanese baseball skills translate to MLB. Matt Murton couldn't get any regular burn with the Chi Cubs but went to Japan and broke Ichiro's hits per season record. Tom Seleck was also successful in Japan...Cubs need a good moustache on the team

#7 Fearbobafett

Fearbobafett

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:00 AM

I am hoping that if we go after him, it is becuase of how the Red Sox scouts felt about him more than our scouts. I would love to see him on the club but with a 30 million posting fee and about 10 million a year, that would be 40 million out of this years budget. Is Rickett's up for that on a pitcher with no MLB experiance?
I have had this guy stashed on my fantasy team rookie squad for the past 2 years and nothing would make me more happy than to have his talent's help my team out and the Cubbies.

#8 Camiata2

Camiata2

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:Camiata2

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Even if we don't win in 2012, you can't just wait until 2013 and put together a whole rotation at once. You have Garza in place now, add another young arm this year, maybe one or two more next year, next thing you know... you have a quality rotation.

I couldn't agree more. It doesn't appear that they have any young arms ready for starting duties down on the farm and it may not take more than a four year commitment to secure him. If the Cubs are looking towards thst time period anyways, why not lock up the pieces now to be ready when that time arrives?

#9 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

The educated guess/poll of scouts and agents say that Darvish will post for around 45 million and will get a 5-6 year deal in the 70 million range. It seems he is going to give CJ Wilson a run for highest paid FA starter this year, that is if CJ didn't pitch himself out of the 100 million dollar club this post season.

I think Darvish has too many innings on his arm, and would be a dangerous gamble. I would be more in favor of the Cubs going after Edwin Jackson and another mid rotation starter on shorter deals, than pushing for another 100 million dollar gamble. I also think the trade market for non-elite starters is going to be pretty good. A lot of teams are looking at moving some of their guys before they start getting to expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).