#1 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

With a full year (virtually) on the books, now's a good time to look back on the free agent signings the Cubs made this year, and give them a grade on how well they did. I won't do that, cause I'm a rather incompetent human being, and I don't even value my own opinion enough to listen, so I know nobody else does. But what do y'all think?

#2 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Some food for thought: the Cubs ended up getting 1.6 WAR higher than expected from their 4 free agent signings, so their 2012 signees did slightly "outperform" expectations by that measure at least. Which, according to Bill Petti at FG, has the Cubs as the 8th best team in terms of "spending efficiency" (LOL at the Marlins). I guess he's counting Maholm, Dejesus, Stewart, and Camp. All the other signings were to minor league deals, I believe.

#3 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

Another thought (and then I'll shut up, I promise): the whole "expected WAR" thing is based on the idea that a WAR is worth like $5 mil, right? But with longterm free-agent signings (ie- Pujols, Fielder) you're expecting that their production will decrease over time (ya know, when Pujols is 50, and Fielder weighs 300+), so really, you would expect the first year of a multi-year deal to produce more WAR than whatever the annual value of their salary is. In other words, Pujols and Fielder (and all the other big deal guys) should be putting up higher WAR's than "expected" in the first year of their deals. And considering that the Cubs signed all their guys to "short-term" deals, that makes their 1.6 WAR above "expected" even more impressive, right?

#4 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

Stewart just doesn't get it.

Ian Stewart@IAN_STEWART_2sc

Hopefully, if cubs want To keep me RT @tanyamilam:@IAN_STEWART_2sc well you will be back before you know it :D

Doesn't sound like it RT @tanyamilam: @IAN_STEWART_2sc they will! dont worry :)

Money owed I guess RT @ZachMayhew: @IAN_STEWART_2sc why wouldn't you be back clearly the best we have #Cubs

He hasn't been at Wrigley for two months now. I originally wanted to bring him back on a new one year cheap contract, but now I'm not so sure.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

#5 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

I'm still reeling from the 2005 and 2006 signings of Burnitz and Izturis.

#6 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm still reeling from the 2005 and 2006 signings of Burnitz and Izturis.

Thanks for bringing back those painful memories. :wacko:
Please don't feed the psychos.

#7 FFP

FFP

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationWorcester County, Massachusetts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Those sound like skin diseases. Did you have to take something or at least apply a topical to get rid of them?

#8 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Those sound like skin diseases. Did you have to take something or at least apply a topical to get rid of them?

Third degree Burnitz.
Please don't feed the psychos.

#9 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Third degree Burnitz.

7 year Izturis

#10 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

DeJesus has been great his .359 OBP when hitting leadoff was 5th best in the league and his defense has been superb especially his flexibility to play all three spots. Joe Lemaire named him their unsung hero in the recent SI power rankings and I can't disagree: http://sportsillustr...l?sct=mlb_wr_a3

Camp was obviously a great signing as well.
The return on Malholm made him a great signing, too.

I don't think Stewart counts since he was acquired in what could go down as the worst trade they've made in decades. Colvin looks like a legit starter and DJ looks like a decent backup infielder at worst.

#11 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Oh yea, duh, Stewart was a trade. Reed Johnson, then? And he turned out pretty well too...

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

Reed was re-signed they could be referring to Corpas

#13 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

oh and Joe Mather even though he was one of the worst players in baseball this year at -2 WAR according to Baseball-Reference which just makes the other signings even more impressive

#14 5412

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hi,

What is more important to me is this. Every player mentioned above is a short term rental unlike the mega-deals. Whether they played well or not, the Cubs still would be out of it this year. The positive side is none of those signings will hurt us long term, and some may help.

My suspicion is they will up the ante this year because they now know what they have and do not have at the major league level.......and the minor league level. They know what puzzle pieces they need next year and beyond so they can shop more intelligently.

regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).