#1 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationO'Fallon, IL 62269

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Here's my list of the 15 pitchers I'll be paying close attention to next season. They're in order, more or less, according to the ceiling I hope they all reach.

1. Juan Carlos Paniagua
2. Our #1 draft pick in 2013
3. Dillon Maples
4. Pierce Johnson
5. Duane Underwood
6. Lendy Castillo
7. Carlos Rodriguez
8. Tayler Scott
9. Ben Wells
10. Trey McNutt
11. Daury Torrez
12. Paul Blackburn
13. Tony Zych
14. Robert Whitenack
15. Starling Peralta

Please feel free to discuss or add your favorites to this list.

#2 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Not a bad list.

I could raise some quibbles on a few points, but the Cubs have so much moderate ceiling pitching that my order for some players changes almost daily.

#3 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

I'm hoping we draft Sean Manaea, so we'll have a quality LHP to look forward to in the not-too-distant future. Rodriguez will still be 17 when the DSL starts next season, so he's years away, at best. Raley, Rusin, Jokisch, Kirk, Rosscup and Burke just aren't all that exciting.

#4 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:43 AM

I am firmly in the Manaea boat. (Assuming a great Spring, of course.)

#5 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'm intrigued by Lendy Castillo being not only on the list, but as high as you have him. Also, it's hard to have a list of Cubs pitching prospects to watch without Arodys Vizcaino.

#6 sclem21

sclem21

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@seanclement21
  • LocationMidland, TX via Libertyville, IL

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

'Also, it's hard to have a list of Cubs pitching prospects to watch without Arodys Vizcaino.'

I concur.

#7 Robbo

Robbo

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Of this list, which pitchers would you expect to be given a reasonable shot to make the starting rotation in the spring?
And, which of these pitchers do you actually believe will make the rotation out of spring? Any of them? Just curious how close some of these guys are to getting their shot...

#8 JCubs79

JCubs79

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Twitter:clarkj79
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Id add Ryan McNiel and Anthony Prieto to that list as well. Both have been good so far. I like both those guys a lot, especially Prieto. I love lefty's with a good fastball like him.

#9 Rated Rookie

Rated Rookie

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Twitter:@Frankieaaron

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Of this list, which pitchers would you expect to be given a reasonable shot to make the starting rotation in the spring?
And, which of these pitchers do you actually believe will make the rotation out of spring? Any of them? Just curious how close some of these guys are to getting their shot...

The only one with any chance whatsoever is McNutt. Maybe they could try and convert Lendy to a starter and see how it works. The others are all too young, though I could see a lot of them in the rotation in the next 3 years or so,

The only internal options we really have for the 2013 rotation are fringe guys like Struck, Rusin, or Raley who could cost effective and hopefully serviceable options for the back end, although Vizczino could make his was up mid season depending on how he progresses, though there's still debate as to whether he'll end up a starter or a reliever.

#10 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

6. Lendy Castillo

I'd like to watch Lendy... get on a bus and head out of town.

I'll admit that I didn't see too many games this year, but I listened to probably 100 of them. Why was he worth his place on the 40? I ask in all genuineness, 'cause it sure seemed like he suuuuuuuuuuuucked this season. A WHIP > 2.0? Barf.

#11 Cubsin

Cubsin

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

I didn't include Arodys Vizcaino because I consider him a Major League pitcher rather than a prospect. He may make a few minor league appearances as part of his rehab, but I expect him to spend most of next season in Chicago.

Lendy Castillo was converted from SS to P, then pitched two years in the low minors for the Phillies before being drafted by the Cubs. Of course he got his brains beat out at the major league level. I have faith in the Front Office - they kept him all season rather than sending him back to the Phillies, so they think he's a legitimate prospect.

Other than Vizcaino, the only pitchers on my list who have a real chance to pitch in Chicago next year (and then as relievers and probably only in September) are McNutt and Zych. I'd be somewhat surprised to see Zych, because he won't need to be on the 40-man roster until next winter.

And I will watch McNeil and Prieto, and Austin Kirk, Eric Jokisch and others as well. Heck, I'll even keep an eye on Gerardo Concepcion and Hayden Simpson.

#12 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Lendy Castillo ... got his brains beat out at the major league level. I have faith in the Front Office - they kept him all season rather than sending him back to the Phillies, so they think he's a legitimate prospect.

Yeah, I understand that. I just want to know what, specifically, they see in him.

#13 SirCub

SirCub

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Lendy Castillo ... got his brains beat out at the major league level. I have faith in the Front Office - they kept him all season rather than sending him back to the Phillies, so they think he's a legitimate prospect.

Yeah, I understand that. I just want to know what, specifically, they see in him.

Seems like he could have a promising future as a BP pitcher.

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Seems like he could have a promising future as a BP pitcher.

Probably not, BP pitchers are supposed to put the ball over the plate as much as possible.

#15 Luke

Luke

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Twitter:@ltblaize
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

A very good fastball (that he is still learning to locate), a breaking pitch that is already promising despite having fewer lifetime innings pitched than some guys currently in high school, and enough project-ability to already be considered a future (2014+) closer candidate.

I like the Lendy Castillo selection and I'm glad the Cubs kept him on the roster enough to keep him. He may not pan out, but right now I'd have behind only Zych and McNutt in terms of potential future closers in the Cub's farm system.

He should go back to High A or Double A next season, no doubt causing a lot of fans to decide taking him was a horrible decision and that Theo should be flogged at the stake and burned out of town as a result. The real payoff on Castillo, if it arrives, is a few years down the road.

Don't be surprised if the Cubs take a similar upside gamble in the Rule 5 draft this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).