T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Let us take this opportunity, first, to shower Sam in the praise he has so rightfully earned!

...now onto to the the next season!

The regular season has ended, meaning that the league will soon be awash in trade offers, frenzied scrambles for draft picks, obnoxious debate and the vibrant fervor that once before defined the fleaflicker message board!

However, I would like to make one proposal before we ratchet up the trade talks:

We need to convene for the First Annual BNFL Winter Meetings!

Every year MLB owners and front office officials come together to discuss the year in review and to discuss changes for the coming year. We should do this too!

We have three VERY important things to do this offseason:
  • We need to vote on awards
  • We need to revise the scoring system.
  • We need to draft and ratify a BNFL Constitution
I propose that we do not open up trades or normal league activity until after the world series so that we have a solid chunk of time to figure these three points out. That way we're all focused on this, and we also don't have someone who trades for a guy who's value is suddenly halved by a scoring change.

Awards
Sam has already started this discussion on the fleaflicker message board. Lets talk about it there. When we have a good list of nominees, let's make a survey monkey or something similar to do a league wide vote on awards.

Scoring System
The main complaints about the current system: Relievers are (maybe fairly, maybe not) not very valuable; Only the very elite pitchers were even as close to as valuable as like the top 50 pitchers; Some aspects of the point system are really stupid (a solo homer is worth 15 points, a walk is worth 1). I will make a fleaflicker post about scoring changes (because their nested posting system is really nice for such discussions).

BNFL Constitution
This wont be anything super fancy. It will be document regarding the basic league functions, scoring system, how to deal with inactive owners, how to oust owners, veto systems, etc. Having one will be super handy when an issue arises because it sets a easily referenced point that should solve almost every issue that arises (and those that it doesnt cover can just be added to the existing document once resolved). Trust me, this is a good thing to have in this large of a league.

I have a basic constitution from a different league that I will be updating when I have the time later this week, and I will be posting it here when I have something useable. I in no way intend to take total control of the constitution. Once I have the framework posted, we should all engage in discussion of each article and the overall tone of the constitution, talk about adding/deleting articles, etc, and we will then ratify each article as we become content with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as getting this done in a month goes, I think its extremely doable. I have an idea for a basic timeline that would have us done with this by November 5th, assuming everyone checks the league page/here a few times a week.

By the end of next week (October 14th), we should have 1-3 scoring proposals and a basic constitution drafted. The week of October 15th through October 21st, we vote on a scoring system and discuss & ratify 1 article of the constitution. The following week we discuss & ratify two more articles. Then the final week of the BNFL Winter Meetings could be spent finalizing our constitution.

Thoughts?

#2 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Me like.

#3 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

I have one issue. The roster. If my guy pulls a hammy on Monday, I'm screwed out of a player for the whole week. Would prefer a daily roster.

#4 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • Twitter:@peaceknuckle
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

Fuck, I think I'm going to go out and see if I can't hire an assistant GM. It all sounds good to me, Tommy. I think we need to get on the scoring as soon as we can, I have a feeling that's going to take the longest to get a consensus.

#5 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have one issue. The roster. If my guy pulls a hammy on Monday, I'm screwed out of a player for the whole week. Would prefer a daily roster.

I don't mind it either way, but if we did that, I'd like to see a limit of 1 or 2 moves a week.

#6 T C

T C

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Twitter:@tommyecook
  • LocationThe University of Illinois

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Yeah, I'd be totally fine with 1-2 moves per week, but it'd be interesting to see if there's a way to do it that only allows swapping injured players out, otherwise we'll all just scramble to throw more pitchers in a week.

I think scoring changes are going to be complex, but I have a system sitting in an excel file that is somewhat viable, and it sounded like Caleb had a pretty comprehensive one ready too. i'll make a post on fleaflicker when im out of class today about a system that I've worked out, and then we can debate from there/debate caleb's ideas from an earlier thread/etc

#7 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, I'd be totally fine with 1-2 moves per week, but it'd be interesting to see if there's a way to do it that only allows swapping injured players out, otherwise we'll all just scramble to throw more pitchers in a week.

I think scoring changes are going to be complex, but I have a system sitting in an excel file that is somewhat viable, and it sounded like Caleb had a pretty comprehensive one ready too. i'll make a post on fleaflicker when im out of class today about a system that I've worked out, and then we can debate from there/debate caleb's ideas from an earlier thread/etc

I really wanted daily lineups, but i don't think it works in a points league, because of what you said about guys going hog wild with pitchers. If we switch, I think there needs to be an acquisition limit per week (2-3), and a limit to the number of times you can alter your lineup (1-2).

The hardest thing I ran into this season was when people were supposed to get off the DL on a Wed or Thurs. Do I start them and hope they come off on time, or start their crappy replacement for that position? That's when it would come in most handy. I have a feeling people will still spam pitchers though.

#8 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have no problem with limitations and such.

#9 Spencer

Spencer

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, IN

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

What do people think about division realignment? I don't have a strong opinion

#10 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

What do people think about division realignment? I don't have a strong opinion

Do you mean redistributing the teams in the divisions to break up the stacked Waveland party? Or going with a different format? I wouldn't be against reducing the number of divisions to four. But like you, I don't really have a strong opinion on it.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#11 Rick Vaughn 99

Rick Vaughn 99

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Facebook:kloyer5
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

First off, thanks for getting all of this going.

I like what you did with the scoring in the points change league you created. My only beef was with runs being worth 2 points, and RBI only being 1 point. If those numbers were reversed, I'd have a hard on for days.

And with lineup changes, even though I have easy access to the league all day, every day, I'd still prefer our weekly format. I see you all throwing out examples of why it sucks, but it's the same for everyone. I'd hate to see this league fall into a bigger problem of people like me changing my pitchers every day to maximize the number of starts I can get, because I will do that. I don't have kids, I get off work at noon, and I have many hours of free time to manipulate rosters. If it's possible to limit the number of weekly adjustments, I'd probably be for that, but if it isn't possible I'll be 100% for our current system. I just can't be trusted to play fairly.

This is totally fucking awesome everyone. Let's keep this active all winter.
- die hard fanclub member #001

#12 fromthemitten

fromthemitten

sleeps in too late to answer the calendar trivia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Twitter:fromthemitten
  • Locationin a van down by the river

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

I'm not gonna lie I've totally taken advantage of the shuffling pitchers deal in daily lineups league and will continue to do so if possible. just sayin'

#13 Katie

Katie

Wait, is this not ChristianMingle.com?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Twitter:@katiekatcubs

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

Doesn't matter what changes y'all make or don't make I'm still gonna kick all your asses next year. The first half of the season was rough for me but I came roaring back at the end. Too bad I was too far out of at it at that point.

VIVA LA TAINT!!!
Peg: Oh Al! Did you miss me?
Al: With every bullet, so far.

#14 King Jeff

King Jeff

King of all Cubs fans!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Is it possible to only allow lineup changes if you put a guy on the DL? I think that would be the best option, if we can do it. Otherwise, I'm with Ricky. I get out of school by 230 every day, so I have hours to kill. I would not be beyond spamming two start pitchers and switching one start guys out if given the chance, no matter how dirty it makes me feel. ]

Tommy, is the scoring system you are talking about the same one you set up the dummy league with? Why haven't we been using that to help us with adjustments?

#15 Cubbie Blues

Cubbie Blues

The Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts
  • Twitter:@timhall76
  • LocationBloomington, IN

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

I think I was hit the hardest with players going on the DL on a Monday. It happened to me with two players in the championship game. With that said I still like the idea of a weekly lineup. I probably wouldn't be one of the ones looking to change my lineup daily to get an extra pitcher in there. I do on the other hand look for multiple starters for weekly lineups.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).