#1 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Cubs Trivia:

Which Cubs pitcher threw a two-hit shutout in Game 1 of the 1984 NLCS and even hit a home run in the third inning?
Please don't feed the psychos.

#2 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

The Woodward AND Bernstein of the Message Board

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

Ya know, I'm all emotional anyway because it's the end of the season. And then the calendar seems to be loading up on questions from my lifetime that crush my soul. Why would they do that?
Steve Trout? Dennis Eckersly? Scott Sanderson? Dick Ruthven? Ah hell. It doesn't matter because you know they lose and break your heart.
I remember sprinting home from school not knowing the results. The joy over the results coupled with being out of breath almost knocked me out.
sigh......

#3 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

Rick Sutcliffe?
- diehard fanclub member #002

#4 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Sutcliffe is correct.

Stinky, I know what you mean. After the first two games, I really thought they would do it.

#5 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

And I still hate Steve Garvey.

#6 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

As you should...

#7 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Quick Garvey story. At the All-Star game Fanfest in 2011, I was standing in line for some exhibit when Garvey and his entourage walked by. I was wearing a Cubs jersey and while walking by Garvey pointed at me and said for all to hear "Best fans in the world!" Then he raised his fist in the air and said, "Go Cubbies!" I'm naive enough to believe he wasn't being sarcastic.

#8 Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I saw him at a Field of Dreams events and glared as I walked by and shook Jim "Mudcat" Grant's hand. Later, I realized I should have asked for a staged picture of me attacking him.

#9 Tommy

Tommy

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationPekin, IL

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Quick Garvey story. At the All-Star game Fanfest in 2011, I was standing in line for some exhibit when Garvey and his entourage walked by. I was wearing a Cubs jersey and while walking by Garvey pointed at me and said for all to hear "Best fans in the world!" Then he raised his fist in the air and said, "Go Cubbies!" I'm naive enough to believe he wasn't being sarcastic.

That is an awesome story. Always liked Garvey, this just makes me like him more.
- diehard fanclub member #002

#10 Spriggs

Spriggs

Bleacher Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

That is an awesome story. Always liked Garvey, this just makes me like him more.

I've thought about that episode a lot -- and it is really amazing how so much hate was dissolved so quickly with those few words from him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).