#1 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

As I'm wading through yet another in a long line of post-LOST "adventure/drama/sci-fi/mystery" shows (this time, Terra Nova), I can't help but be reminded of how truly incredible LOST was. The combination of a high-minded conceit, incredible writing, impressive ensemble acting, and impeccable directing is something you rarely see, and almost never see on a network show.

I am beginning to become certain of something I'd previously only suspected: LOST was a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

And, while it was just a TV show ... it makes me sad.

#2 Elwood

Elwood

I'm New

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

I agree. I refused LOST for the first 3 seasons. Then, hooked till the end. ABC, NBC, FOX, take notes. A successful series does NOT have to involve cops, vampires, or stinking CSI crap!

#3 MichiganGoat

MichiganGoat

Give me a BEER

• Moderators
  • 3,799 posts
  • Twitter:MichiganGoat
  • Facebook:michigangoat
  • LocationGrand Rapids, MI

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

I'm sorry LOST was one of the worst finished shows ever. Nothing was answered and the last season was the worse. The writing diminished after season three and I am shocked that more people aren't angry that it ended with so little closure.

MichiganGoat on Twitter

"There are a lot of guys who are respected but not liked" - Ron Santo

#4 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm sorry LOST was one of the worst finished shows ever. Nothing was answered and the last season was the worse. The writing diminished after season three and I am shocked that more people aren't angry that it ended with so little closure.

Because of how I feel about the show, I'll take emotion out of it. I'll simply disagree completely. While the first half of Season Six dragged, the finale more than made up for it. The only questions left unanswered were questions that were either (a.) not important in the grand scheme of things, (b.) things that were intentionally unanswered for artistic effect, or (c.) things that were answered (but were easily missed unless you're a loser and watch the show a half dozen times per episode as I did).

Seasons Four and Five, setting aside Six, were brilliantly-written - but the show became a very different show after Season Three, so I could understand it becoming not someone's cup of tea (my wife, for example, loved the first three seasons, and then stopped watching after Season Four).

#5 Sam

Sam

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Twitter:SamVari7
  • Facebook:sam.varipapa
  • LocationBaltimore MD & Huntington WV

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

I was never a big fan of lost. I could just never get into it. But if you are looking for good TV shows I recommend Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones (Best show on TV).
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."- Hunter S. Thompson

#6 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

I was never a big fan of lost. I could just never get into it. But if you are looking for good TV shows I recommend Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones (Best show on TV).

I'm a huge Walking Dead fan.

...which emphasizes my point: the fact that LOST could be as good as it was on a network for 20 episode seasons (slightly less in the later years) is incredible. Seeing new shows only underscores that for me - even the good ones, because none of them are on ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX.

#7 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

You've really gotta give Battlestar Gallactica a shot. It's not what I expected (or had feared). It's a pretty amazing show, with plenty of depth/mystery to catch the attention of you Lost dorks. The show starts off with a 3-hour miniseries and evolves into 4 regular seasons from there. I'd be shocked if you weren't hooked by the end of the miniseries.

#8 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,640 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

You've really gotta give Battlestar Gallactica a shot. It's not what I expected (or had feared). It's a pretty amazing show, with plenty of depth/mystery to catch the attention of you Lost dorks. The show starts off with a 3-hour miniseries and evolves into 4 regular seasons from there. I'd be shocked if you weren't hooked by the end of the miniseries.

The old one or the new one? I'll put it on my Netflix-ing list.

#9 TWC

TWC

Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,054 posts
  • Twitter:@thomaswconroy
  • LocationHMB, CA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Oh, geez, the new one, totally. I mean, the old one might be fine and all -- never seen it -- but the new one is what I'm talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).