#1 Doctor_Blair

Doctor_Blair

Bleacher Bum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:Doctor_Blair

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

I know we're all holding out hope here. Maybe it's the fact that the Cardinals are in the World Series... (I live in Nebraska, many of my co-workers are Cards fans.) Maybe it's the uncertainty of the GM situation. But I'm starting to feel like this may be an epically bad off-season.

Perhaps as a Cubs fan I'd rather expect the worse, and then be pleasantly surprised when it turns out to be mediocre, but right now what could make the next several months less than ideal is to have the Cardinals win the World Series and not end up with Theo Epstein as GM. I don't have any connections at all - I just pay attention to the various rumor mills to see what's out there. Perhaps it's just me, but my sub-conscious is going into self-defense mode, preparing me for the worst.

For me, I wanted Theo to come to the Cubs for two reasons. History seems to indicate that the Cubs have either been subject to poor/short-sighted management or perhaps have had the right people, but have been "cursed". I for one believe that curses are only as powerful as an individual or group lets them be. The Cubs nation is large and as a whole believes that the Cubs curse is true, and therefore it is.

That's why I am/was (see, my sub-conscious is already defending my sanity as a Cubs fan) hot for Theo Epstein. He brings 1.) Great GM smarts to the ball club and a "We WILL will attitude" that the Cubs have sorely needed and 2.) Curse breaking history that the Cubs fans and ball club need to get past all of this curse stuff.

I am patient though. I could care less if the Theo deal is closed before the World Series (which will be a sweep, in favor of the Rangers, by the way) as long as it is closed. I, as a fan with no knowledge of what's going on very much want this deal to be done because of the aforementioned reasons, but I do not want the Cubs to give away the farm... In the spirit of optimism, 2013 is the year, right?

#2 Brett

Brett

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,646 posts
  • Twitter:BleacherNation
  • Facebook:BleacherNation

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

I think, for anyone hoping for an offseason that nets a bunch of ML players who give the Cubs the best team on paper in the NL Central going into 2012, it will be a disappointing offseason.

But for those hoping the Cubs start the process of rebuilding, I think it will be a pleasant and successful offseason.

#3 Fishin Phil

Fishin Phil

Wally Pipp of Cubs Calendar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

But for those hoping the Cubs start the process of rebuilding, I think it will be a pleasant and successful offseason.

I'm going to hold you to that.
Please don't feed the psychos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bleacher Nation is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Chicago National League Ballclub (that's the Cubs).